Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release

Post subject: Phantom of the Opera ULTIMATE 1.04-1
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:38 pm 

I have posted an update to Slamt1lt's table, "Phantom of the Opera". I just happened to be working on this table when Ravarcade published a new beta of BAM that implements "dynamic flippers". The idea for the omega of the flippers came from Gimli. Gimli's code for the omega was confusing to me so I made some changes. With the changes, I can easily change the parameters so it matches the physics. My understanding is that omega is what is adjusted when you make changes to the flipper strength in the Future Pinball editor. The new version of BAM adds numeric contact points for each flipper. The contact point at the base reads 0 and the tip is approximately 1.2. The points in between the base and tip of the flipper read progressively between 0 and 1.2. The script has a formula that uses the contact point to calculate the omega. On this table, the omega is 28.2 at the tip of the flipper and 43 at the base. I think this makes the table play considerably better. The script also has sections that improve flipper geometry and flipper elasticity.

List of changes:
Replaced 1024x2048 playfield texture with Siggi's high resolution version.
Developed dynamic flippers by using the recent BAM version 1.4-233 with Gimli's help.
Added custom physics.
Added HUD Toggle Key that saves setting to the fpRam file.
Added a modification to the plunger so it operates more smoothly.
Reshaped the apron so it is symmetrical.
Added coding to the script that extends the maximum number of points that can be awarded from 40 billion to 922 trillion.
Added version of the table for use on a single monitor with a portrait orientation such that the monitor on your PC can be rotated 90 degrees.

I hope you enjoy the table. My thanks to Gimli and Siggi for their assistance.

The table is available for download at PinSimDB:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... a_ultimate

George

Post subject: Re: Phantom of the Opera ULTIMATE 1.04-1
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:34 pm 

For those of you that are table developers and have read Ravarcade's discussion of the topic below, you may wander why I am using 1.2 as the contact point for the tip instead of 1.0 that Rav discusses.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6676

The reason is simple. The debug code showed that the contact point at the tip of the flipper often read 1.2. After trying 1.0 and 1.2 in the formula in the script. I found 1.2 made the table play better.

George

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:30 am 

Great work George.

I actually tried using your method of using BAM's new scripted physics without changing anything for Bez Ball, and it seemed to work pretty good.

Does it matter what version of FP.EXE is used for these new BAM physics for dynamic flipper,etc? I'm still using the SLAMT1LT 2.7 version.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:56 am 

I congratulated you on your work......even if you did not comment on mine, I'm sorry you did not like it.

after all, I expected this, people do not know why, it is not propitious to use BAM ... I also see it in my other tables, krull, dragon keep,rygar .....but maybe I'm wrong, and depends on the type of table that is offered.

regards

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm 

wild wrote:
I congratulated you on your work......even if you did not comment on mine, I'm sorry you did not like it.

after all, I expected this, people do not know why, it is not propitious to use BAM ... I also see it in my other tables, krull, dragon keep,rygar .....but maybe I'm wrong, and depends on the type of table that is offered.

regards

The honest truth is...I've barely been caught up on FP tables lately. So I haven't played many "new" (for me) tables for a while now.

My work with with Pinup Player and Pinup Popper has kept me very occupied, so I haven't had much time to dabble with new FP stuff as much.

So, its not that I didn't like your tables...I simply haven't tried many tables at all lately. This Phantom update caught my eye due to it using new BAM physics updates.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:07 pm 

TerryRed wrote:
wild wrote:

regards

The honest truth is...I've barely been caught up on FP tables lately. So I haven't played many "new" (for me) tables for a while now.

My work with with Pinup Player and Pinup Popper has kept me very occupied, so I haven't had much time to dabble with new FP stuff as much.

So, its not that I didn't like your tables...I simply haven't tried many tables at all lately. This Phantom update caught my eye due to it using new BAM physics updates.

sorry,TerryRed.... maybe I was not clear before, but I was referring to pinball mate George....not you.anyway, nice to meet you.

I expected a comment from George, for nintendo pinball, but evidently he did not like him, like to many.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:51 pm 

Wild,

Actually, I haven't had a chance to download any new tables in quite some time. I have been completely preoccupied with figuring out the new Dynamic Flippers. It has demanded all my attention. It was really a big challenge for me. After I finally figured it out with Gimli's help, I posted this table. Now that this is done, maybe I can start thinking about doing other things. I plan to try out your new table but have not had a chance yet.

George

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:41 pm 

TerryRed wrote:
Great work George.

I actually tried using your method of using BAM's new scripted physics without changing anything for Bez Ball, and it seemed to work pretty good.

Does it matter what version of FP.EXE is used for these new BAM physics for dynamic flipper,etc? I'm still using SLAMT1LT 2.7 version.

Terry,

Wild was actually the first person to figure out scripted physics. It is not new. Rav added it to BAM way back before I ever thought about creating custom physics for tables. It is actually the same XML file that we have used for a long time but saved to the script.

Dynamic flippers are new and it took a lot of effort on my part for me to figure it out and a lot of patience on Gimli's part to explain it. Rav did not actually provide the coding that is used on this table but gave us the tools to do what we wish. Gimli created some code that I liked but I had to change it so I could figure out how to tweak the omega settings for the flippers.

I'm glad you like the physics stuff on your Bez table.

As far as the FP executable, you can use any of them. I always use the Zedonius_v1.1 64 bit exe for absolutely everything. There are a few of the exe's that do not have the option to run a table in debug mode which I used quite a bit with dynamic flippers. ...But the Zedonius and SLAMT1LT 2.7 version both have it.

BAM will select physics from the script before it will use anything else. So it will use my custom physics before it uses the internal physics of the Zedonius or SLAMT1LT 2.7 exe files. You can check to see where BAM is getting the physics by opening the BAM menu while playing a table and looking at the bottom right side of the screen where it will say it is using VBS script on this table. On other tables, it will show the XML file if the table has one or even the "default.xml" file in the BAM folder if it is using that. Any setting that is defined for Dynamic Flippers in the script will used preferentially over anything else. This table has the omega ramp from 28.2 to 43 in the script for Dynamic Flippers and it will use it even though the flipper omega is set 44 in the XML file which is also in the script. Rav set it up that way and does not require any special coding - pretty nice huh?

George

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:12 am 

Very nice George.

So to get the dynamic flippers code.... is that now a standard BAM adds in when you do a copy and paste from BAM settings while playing the table? Or is that something you guys added afterward? etc...

Is it really as simple as copying from BAM flipper physics settings, pasting into table script...then making your adjustments in the script. Nothing else?

I added a link to the dynamic flippers thread to one of SLAMT1LT's newer Youtube videos (comparing Transfomers VPX and FP versions). I wonder if he even knows about it or uses it at all with his Ultimate Pro tables.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 am 

I don't think so, this stuff is brand new

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release