Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: How do I update table for new physics?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am 

I got back into updating my pinball cabinet and I wanted to update my Time Warp table to the latest stuff. I've got the DOFLinx stuff figured out so I'll be replacing the LedWiz code I had in the table and get rid of the startup dialog asking whether to use it.

So I'm not sure what is the latest way to do the physics. I kept reading where everyone was happy because you decided on a single physics option but I never actually saw anyone say what that is. I still see some people promoting a Zedonius version because it's got the 4GB patch for 64bit but then I see others saying that causes problems elsewhere so they still use the 2.7 SLAM physics.

Anyways either way I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use any of these physics. Do I have to update anything in the physics XML file? Or do I just pick a physics and rename the XML to my table name and then start adjusting my table settings till I like how it responds when that physics XML is being used?

Thanks,
Gil

Post subject: Re: How do I update table for new physics?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:57 pm 

Basically you need to use the physics that the author of the table recommends. You can experiment using different XML files with the table but you will get mixed results because several of the table objects have strength settings on the FP table editor and these have to work with the settings in the XML file.

If you don't like the physics the author recommends, you might try using the XML file that Malifica created. It works on most tables. You can get it here:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6173

George

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 pm 

Ok...well I'm the author. I don't need help knowing how to run other people's tables I want to learn how as an author to utilize the new physics options in the table I'm authoring. Do author's edit the XML or the settings inside the table options or both?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:40 pm 

Also, if you wait a week or so, there may be some really cool enhanced flipper physics coming...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:32 pm 

Gilrock wrote:
Ok...well I'm the author. I don't need help knowing how to run other people's tables I want to learn how as an author to utilize the new physics options in the table I'm authoring. Do author's edit the XML or the settings inside the table options or both?

I wrote a brief "How To" on Step 28 of the following guide. I always start with Malifica's XML file these days. I mostly make adjustments by intuition. I suppose I need to update it. There are several Physics Tweaks that you can make on the fly using the BAM menu for Dev options (under Config).

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6054

You will be able to change the flipper omega and mass with the ball speed in the script on the next version of BAM as Gimli said.

George

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 am 

Ok thanks. I'm not in a hurry so I'll wait a bit to see what changes come out.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:34 am 

You can go ahead and set up the physics on your table. The new version of BAM with the new flipper physics only affect 2 parameters in the XML file, the flipper "mass" and "Omega". The strength for the flipper objects on the table editor adjust the omega.

George

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:40 am 

George,
I am not certain but I believe we will be able to also change flipper elasticity, friction etc as well

Probably all XML properties...

Ie damping etc...

And these "prehit" param adjustments are not just for flippers....
ie guides, walls, bumpers...

According to Rav:
Quote:
This is almost 100% control i can give to table-devs.

set different material params for every single object on table.
You have command in BAM:
xBAM.Physics.SetMaterial "objectname", elasticCoef, softnessCoef, staticFriction, kineticFriction
You can set same params as in xml for single wall, flipper, rubber....
If you use FlipperExt interface to set mass or omega for single flipper, you can also use shorter SetMaterial command, like this:
RightFlipperExt.SetMaterial elasticCoef, softnessCoef, staticFriction, kineticFriction

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:08 pm 

So I believe yes the author will choose a base XML but then will have virtually unlimited control dynamically of how the ball will behave as it hits flippers and table objects based on tracking and predicting ball speed, position and vector...and the variable properties you assign to anticipated hit event

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm 

I suppose it will do that also but for me being to change material characteristics for each object doesn't really interest me that much. I have never really seen a need to set those parameters differently for different objects. Of course, I haven't tried it yet so I could be wrong.

The flippers are a different story. I do sometimes want to set the omega differently for the 3rd and 4th flippers if the table is equipped with them. The new change will make that easy.

George

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help