Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Message about openGL & software/hardware acceleration
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:40 am 

I did see where someone had mentioned this error in this forum (2016 maybe). I installed Future Pinball on a Sony VIAO notebook PC running Win10. When trying to start even a very basic table I got the message: "Future Pinball has detected that your openGL acceleration is running in software mode. This will cause Future Pinball to run poorly, nVidia and ATI only support hardware acceleration (which this application requires) in 32 bit mode. Please change your desktop colour depth to 32 bit and try running this application again."

I was already in 32 bit mode and all attempts to change configuration so that openGL would run in hardware mode failed. I found a utility at Intel's support site that analyzed my PC & returned much info about its configuration, including graphics. In my case, unfortunately, Intel has stopped supporting my graphics chipset and there are no newer drivers available. Bottom line, as far as I can tell, I cannot run Future Pinball on this notebook.

If I am wrong and anyone knows a way around this problem, please let me know. I don't think my wife would appreciate my saying, "Dear, I need a new computer so I can play pinball."

Post subject: Re: Message about openGL & software/hardware acceleration
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:03 pm 

Do you have the file "OpenGL.dll" in your "Future Pinball" folder? I am guessing not.

I read this somewhere nad it worked for someone: Try opening Future Pinball's editor and select "Preferences" on the menu and then "Video Rendering Options" options. Unselect "Full-screen", and use one of the windowed modes instead. Try using the resolution that is the same as your monitor, probably the highest one.

I read this somewhere else: " I opened my Intel Graphics Driver in Control Panel and selected 3D and chaned it to 24 bit depth buffer and 32 bits per texile AND then I went to Display in Control Panel and to Setting, to Troubleshoot and set the Acceleration to half way, it was on full, all the way to the right, and then clicked Apply and this time when I opened Silver Surfer it fully loaded and I played the game. "

Someone else ended up having to replace their video card.

I read somewhere else to set color quality to 32 bit on the software for your video card.

It is possible you may not have the proper video drivers installed.

I take it that you found these 2 messages on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6106

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6076

I have not had this problem before but this is all I can find about others that have had it.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 pm 

I haven't had a chance to work on this much but I sure appreciate your help. I have tried the suggested solutions without success. The video in this notebook is not designed for gaming and is no longer supported by Intel so attempts to update the driver just report that the current driver is the latest. It doesn't seem to me there is any way to run Future Pinball tables on this notebook PC.

I will keep trying if/when other possible solutions come up but it sure looks like buying a notebook with video designed to support gaming is the only way I'll be able to take adantage of the great resource Future Pinball appears to be. I looked at Dell and they list a number of notebook PCs that are designed to support gaming priced from I think about $799 way up to $3500. I'd most likely purchase one priced about $1000 if I can't resist.

One thing I don't like about most pinball I've been able to make work is that on the single screen they display only a part of the table which jumps around as the ball moves off the currently displayed part. There are a few exceptions (Super Pinball - Behind the Mask & Microsoft's 3D pinball, for example) that present the entire table on my display. But since I'm also having trouble trying to make emulators work I haven't been able to check out many other possible pinball options.

The Super Nintendo emulator, ZNES, works on this notebook PC & that is the means for my being able to play Super Pinball-Behind the Mask as well as several other pinball games although almost all the games have that "shifting" table I dislike.

I'll go back through your response again and see if there is anything I haven't tried yet. I'll let you know if I am able to get Future Pinball working. Thanks again.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm 

If you have the file "OpenGL.dll" in your "Future Pinball" folder, try deleting it.

If nothing I found works, I'd say your notebook probably does not have video capability good enough for FP. If you own a PC, give it a try. FP only requires an average CPU but needs a reasonably good video card.

Geoge

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:12 am 

Yes, I have a Dell desktop, too. I would much rather play games on a notebook, however (I'm old & lazy and use the notebook while lounging in my Lazy Boy). That is why I've been working on the Sony Viao. With the current video card in the Dell desktop I have the same problem. That is, I also get the error about opengl running in software mode and the program crashes after a table loads. I could upgrade to a good gaming video card (I'd also have to upgrade the PCs power supply since it is only 305 Watts). I think that upgrade would cost about $400, maybe a little less, I'd checked some prices but have forgotten. I could re-arrange things here so I could work (& play) on the desktop PC from my comfortable chair and that would be the most reasonable solution. I do have a project for my wife I should finish before working on that project for myself, however. Something started years ago and then left on interminable "hold" even though it shouldn't take that much to complete.

I'll check into prices for upgrading the desktop again, that should help me decide how to procede.

I wish I could actually try playing some Future Pinball tables on a single screen to see if I'd likely be happy being able to do that. If I'd have to build a complete simulator with a pinball machine like interface and three large TV screens to be happy playing, that's a whole other consideration.

I apologize for having gotten off the original topic and prattling on about my personal situation so much rather than sticking to the opengl problem more directly. My thoughts about upgrading to a computer that could run Future Pinball well are probably not the purpose of this forum or at least not of this thread. Simply the comfirmation my PC's are not adequate is enough to say. What I do about it from there should be limited to either: 1. I give up or 2. If I upgrade, to what, and how well it works out.

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help