Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Announcement / news

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Update 2013-11-07 : Tags, Video section, new search form
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:03 pm 

I'm thinking the table title will ONLY include the latest release (including physics version) as well as ONLY the latest physics tag and each download will display the individual table name along with its corresponding physics build.

For example - GORGAR ULTIMATE 1.01 Physics 2.6 is the latest version listed but when you click on the post it will display the following downloads Hellfire 1.09 Physics 1.0, Hellfire 1.10 Physics 2.4 as well as ULTIMATE 1.01 Physics 2.6.

That make sense? or other ideas?

Edit: I guess this defeats the purpose of the individual tags if done this way.. While I agree we shouldn't create new threads/posts for duplicate tables we should be able to tag individual downloads as opposed to only the table title.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 pm 

open6l wrote:
I'm thinking the table title will ONLY include the latest release (including physics version) as well as ONLY the latest physics tag and each download will display the individual table name along with its corresponding physics build.

For example - GORGAR ULTIMATE 1.01 Physics 2.6 is the latest version listed but when you click on the post it will display the following downloads Hellfire 1.09 Physics 1.0, Hellfire 1.10 Physics 2.4 as well as ULTIMATE 1.01 Physics 2.6.

That make sense? or other ideas?

And more information available by default to help people figure out which version they want and how to run each version properly. Link to 2.7 release thread, link to physics FAQ post explaining all about different versions and why BAM+XML is the current standard (I'm working on this... few more days), link to BAM information, etc. The lack of useful information and especially the disconnect between the table entries on PSDB and the functional information contained on GPB makes it hard for most people to figure anything out whatsoever. I speak from personal experience, and I have somewhat of a clue technically. :)

edit: And yes to your edit, I think physics name etc must be removed entirely from table title. Gorgar Ultimate 1.01 should contain all previous sub-versions of Gorgar (ultra, hellfire, whatever). Long usurped physics versions (such as 2.4) should be removed as well in my opinion. Legacy support for outdated software versions can't last forever regardless, and 2.4 has been dead for ages. 2.5 will be dead as well soon.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:38 pm 

Hello,
No problem, we will host them ... as long as there are no duplicate of existing tables: only new downloads (labeled with your name or physics 2.7...) in the existing tables. Duplicates are very confusing.

Not sure either for the name of the tables - I will think about it tomorrow, now, off to bed ;)

How to add your table or fill missing information : viewtopic.php?f=72&p=34257#p34257

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:39 pm 

Of course! We have enough headaches regarding too many versions without duplicates as well! :)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:37 am 

Ok, so I think we need to take some time to think about all of this, and set up a standard guideline for posting tables in psdb.
It's better to delay tables retagging/reorganisation until we agreed on this guideline.

Some random thougths :
- table can have several versions (by the same authors or not).
- table can have mods.
- table can have several physics adjustement, or cab / dmd / ledwiz ....

So how to handle this :
All in one entry ?
But the same table made twice by two authors are one or 2 entries ?
Is physics adjustment are considered as MOD if done by others authors ?

then we also need to decide if tags are left to table entry, delegated to DL or both ?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:09 am 

If table based on same functional design then they should all be on same page to show that it's the same table. Example: Fireball Home Version is different from Fireball Classic so obviously 2 entries, but GOLD/ULTRA/ULTIMATE from slam are all based on same core design so you can move those all together into the main entry for whatever table he based them on (e.g. med mad GOLD/ULTRA/etc moved to 1.5 and 1.5 renamed just "Medieval Madness"). The layout and design is what really defines different tables anyway -- not graphics, sounds, or extras. If two authors make the same table from scratch but they are two entirely different versions you could still present them on same page but clearly define the different versions in presentation -- maybe "master" tables are at the root of the displayed hierarchy, and sub-versions all branch out beneath? With a link in every table to the FAQ explaining GOLD/ULTRA/ULTIMATE/etc and physics variations there should be no confusion except from people who don't read. :P

We also need a place on each table entry page for sub-versions and modifications/physics. A hierarchy that can show credits for each sub-version and download links. Currently there is only credits for main table entry and if reorg consolidates tables into single entries we need a new way to display versions/credits/etc.

Great work so far though! :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:26 am 

- I agree that multiple versions of a table (GOLD/ULTRA/ULTIMATE, or physic 2.4/2.5/2.6/... or Cab/ledwiz adjustment ...) should be in the same entry.

- But I'm not sure that mods (ULTIMATE version of a table of another author) should be in the same entry, as even if layout is almost the same, gfx / sound are generally different. And I also think it can be disrespectful for original authors as their tables will be hidden under the numerous versions.

- for the tags we need improvements for sure. Tags needs to be set on table entry for search functionality, but it may be needed on DL as well ?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 am 

@bigsilverhotdog : for your suggestion it needs a lot of modification (the hierachical system), not so easy and not short term solution I'm afraid.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:00 am 

- Another thought after a chat with Alex. I think we should separate what is a MOD and what is physics adjustment, and how it is credited. How I see it, but any comments are welcome as usual :

. A table T1 is publish by a author A1, we add a entry in PSDB, with author A1
. A2 make an adjustment for physic or cab view. Add the version in the same entry, but in the field author only fill A1. In the Description we add A2 make the adjustment for physics etc ...
. A3 make a MOD. Add it in a new entry, with authors A1 & A3

So Authors of table or MODs are listed in authors fields (so searchable), other modification (with I call adjustment) are listed in description field only.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 pm 

Very clear and level headed LvR. I have nothing to add, and that should work very well. But you will need a new default tab "Overview" because some tables already fill in description and this will confuse people. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » PinSimDB.org & GoPinball.com sites » Announcement / news