Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Frontends » PinballX

Post subject: Anyone else moving from Hyperpin to Pinball X ?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:56 am 

Any of you guys done/trying this?

I am in the process of changing over,PINx is far faster now,supports third monitor vids,has loads more options etc....looks very good tbh.

I was apprehensive at first but this looks far better in its first few months than HP did,incase anyone is thinking of switching its very good program,i just have to rename most files again which is a downer,but ill get there.

BTW, does anyone use the Futrure DMD with this? how do you set it up within PinX?

Post subject: Re: Anyone else moving from Hyperpin to Pinball X ?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:28 am 

I haven`t had enough time to check the Future DMD routine yet. I was a hardcore enthusiast with hyperpin earlier but I am glad I got pinpointed into the pinx direction here at some point. I completely changed over, renamed all the files properly (I used the 2.5XML files that were posted here on the site by johnharyIV). This was a big help. I totally enjoy switching and would - so far - not turn back. Pinx has way more and way better features - for me :) Enjoy the ride...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:10 am 

i was thinking about doing this myself. thought it might be a lot of hassle though!

Anything i need to know before i make the switch, like any tricks to make the transition easier?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:08 am 

It´s not that bad, I would say. It depends on how well organized you were in Hyperpin before. You can basically just copy your hyperpin XML file into the pinx database, copy all the media files into the respective folders and import also all highscores. This shouldn't be that bad since the install and setup of pinx is pretty neat and well organized. I use BAM to run the different FP versions under pinx. I did that before with hyperpin as well so there was no big change involved whatsoever. I you however went without BAM, you will face some issues since pinx doesn't support that many different exes. I would suggest running with bam anyways, since it makes things so much easier and manageable. I only had to rename all my FP tables (.fpt) to the proper names because in hyperpin it hadn't been necessary to have the proper names since they didn't appear nowhere anyways. In pinx this is slightly different so I modified my XML list as well as the names of the media files a little. But since I am only running around some-100-ish tables, this was done in one evening. Since then, everything is working real smoothly. I had lots of issues with hyperpin under win7 ultimate64. This is also why I switched...As said, I wouldn't wanna go back :)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 am 

"BTW, does anyone use the Futrure DMD with this? how do you set it up within PinX?"

We had all sorts of issues when telling PinX to load FutureDMD.exe but found if you just tell WIN7 to load on start and remove all instances of FutureDMD in the PinX setup it seems to have done the trick.

Rob.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:03 am 

i have moved to hyperpin with future dmd. it works great

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:04 pm 

PinballX supports multiple versions of Future Pinball (you just act like versions other than the most common are separate emulators). I use this to test the PinballX setup on new tables before messing with my main Future Pinball.xml database and media folders. You're right, though, that BAM is easier. I had it set up as separate emulators before (I think I had the main Future Pinball (as 2.6), 1.0, 2.5 and BAM), now just the main one pointing to BAM and the appropriate XML for tables.

I find it a little more flexible and friendly than HyperPin. YMMV. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:04 pm 

I love HP but am about to take the plunger with PinballX, hope it goes good!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:50 am 

Pinball x iS the way to go

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 am 

Does pinballx still a slight issue in launching FP tables? I tried messing with it a short while ago, and compared to using the FPlaunch in HP, there always seemed to be a quick appearance of loading screen by FP, then it went back to pinballx's loading screen before the table launched. Wondering if that ever got ironed out.

Board index » Frontends » PinballX