Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2061 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204 ... 207  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Arcade Mode - MOD for Future Pinball
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:59 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
I take it that this needs a 3D monitor? I remember when this came out. I added the 3D code to the bam.cfg and played the demo table. When I press "U", nothing happens.

George

Normal / Bump maps are just a way of the renderer taking a normal texture image and an identical bump map image and using them to render the surface of the object in a way that it will be affected by the surrounding light.

The object itself is still the same...but the rendered visual of the object looks like it has a 3d surface.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bump+ma ... 20&bih=969

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
I take it that this needs a 3D monitor? I remember when this came out. I added the 3D code to the bam.cfg and played the demo table. When I press "U", nothing happens.

George

This feature is 6 years old now and I'm only starting to use it! It's a cool effect to add more details to otherwise flat textures. My Vengeance toy in Star Trek was too flat and unreflective and the dinosaur toys in JP needed lifelike scales....that's the kind of stuff it does.

And then in BAM, you can control the lighting for each individual toy to make it more shiney...like Iron Man's armour or the lamp in Arabian Nights. Play that game with normal FP lighting and look at the lamp toy, then switch to New Render and look again...a flat and rather dull lamp turns into pure solid gold!!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:23 pm 

A few examples of how a simple bump map can make any toy in Future Pinball look more realistic. Even better than real life....Thing's Box, the Jurassic Park gate, all enhanced to look much better than their real life counterparts. Anything can be bump mapped, even plastics and the playfield.

This creates a whole new level of atmosphere for Future Pinball.

https://youtu.be/sCtAa_64SBc

Just create a Normal Map file, pop it into Future Pinball and bob's your uncle. Ok, there's more to it than that but it is very simple. See Rav's instructions. I've also created bump maps for the Castle and Dragon in Medievel Madness and they now look amazing, especially when lit up by a flasher.

There's no going back when you start updating your games...those sad old flat textures are history.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:02 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
A few examples of how a simple bump map can make any toy in Future Pinball look more realistic. Even better than real life....Thing's Box, the Jurassic Park gate, all enhanced to look much better than their real life counterparts. Anything can be bump mapped, even plastics and the playfield.

Just create a Normal Map file, pop it into Future Pinball and bob's your uncle. Ok, there's more to it than that but it is very simple. See Rav's instructions. I've also created bump maps for the Castle and Dragon in Medievel Madness and they now look amazing, especially when lit up by a flasher.

There's no going back when you start updating your games...those sad old flat textures are history.

Looking very cool...and in a 4K screen or a VR headset...bump maps will definitely be more noticeable with BAM / FP's lighting.

I see you are definitely going with this feature and not going back! Can't blame you!

One thing though... I know you are a bit of a perfectionist (nothing wrong with that, I can be too)... but I never understood why you take down links to your tables as soon as you are adding new updates to them. I can understand if a table has a major game breaking bug, sure.... but if it's just new extras or something similar, then why not keep the older tables links up until the newer versions are released The timeline for an update can be unpredictable.

I guess I'm speaking from the fact that I'm military, and there are times where I'm away from home and the Internet for weeks or months at a time... and nothing would gut me more than missing out on an updated version of your table that I never had a chance to get access to...and still can't because it may be in progress for an unknown time.

Even with the worst bugs...you tables are fantastic to the rest of us and still being able to get an older version of your table in the meantime is better than none at all. (I get asked by a lot of people why the previous tables are no longer there).

Love your passion for trying these new features btw. It's caught the attention of others who haven't tried FP in years.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:44 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:

OK I get what it is now. The video helped a lot. Thanks Slam.

I know I am slow sometimes but since I am retired I have time to spend figuring it out. I guess the first place to start is to create a bump map. JP is definitely a table where this would help. The models of the dinosaurs are too shiny and I had a lot of trouble positioning the invisible nanoflashers to light them.

I remember a change even before this bump map thing where Rav was able to add some really nice looking models to FP. The models seemed to have a range of motion you can't normally do on FP. No one ever used that change either. I seem to remember the demo had the model of medieval looking man swinging something. Rav, do you remember this?

George

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:53 pm 

GeorgeH, I assume you meant this?

https://youtu.be/KaM2kqSRyVQ

My video editor is crap and keeps screwing up my newer tutorial videos before they can be uploaded (for PuP-Packs and Desktop setups). Once that is done I would be ready to finalize Jaws U-Pro 1.06 DOFLinx and PuP mod... until I noticed the 1.07 update coming. :)

That said...it's not too hard to transfer "code" to a new updated table (using Winmerge or similar)...it's the rest of the stuff I need to do that takes the longest...and lots and lots of testing!

@SLAMT1LT ...do you have an idea how long until your new Jaws 1.07 update will come out?

I only noticed one major bug with Jaws U-Pro 1.06 (related to the Orca sinking Timer and the Kill Jaws modes). I was able to fix it no problem in my update...but the reality is, unless you get to the Kill Jaws modes and get down to 1 ball...you won't ever see the bug anyway. (I of course noticed it, because I needed to create parts of the PuP-Pack to work in every scenario of the game)

I ask because if it will be a long while before 1.07 is released, then I could release the 1.06 DOFLinx PuP mod and the PuP-Pack as soon as I'm done my tutorial videos (the recording, encoding, uploading, YT processing takes for friggin ever!). If it will just be a matter of days, I could hold off until 1.07 is out and I could add it to that updated table instead?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:40 pm 

@ravarcade

One thing that comes up a lot in support requests I get for Pinup Popper is if BAM still needs to be Run as Administrator...

I have always told everyone to Run FPLoader.exe as Admin, as it used to be thought it was needed for BAM to run properly.

Is this still the case?

For cabinet setups... it can be possible to have nothing running as Admin, but currently only DOFLinx and BAM are running as Admin for me right now.

mjr (creator of Pinscape, and updater of DOF R3++) has shown others how it's possible to have programs that need to read areas of another programs memory, not be required to Run as Admin to work.

I just wanted clarification, as I'm no programmer...but I give tech support to a lot of people for FP and Pinup Popper (front-end program)...and I hope I'm giving up to date advice.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 am 

TerryRed wrote:
GeorgeH, I assume you meant this?

https://youtu.be/KaM2kqSRyVQ

I think that is it. Rav called it "Custom Models". Version 162 discussed it here:

http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopi ... 447#p83447

It is a shame no one ever used it as far as I know. It seemed to have potential. The models move less stiffly than the the usual FP models.

George

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:28 am 

Terry:

The older version download links are still on the games page of my site. I won't replace them until I have the new files uploaded.

https://speak1970.wixsite.com/slamspinb ... rium/games

Hopefully it shouldn't take too long with Jaws. I've fixed one small bug (but now I have to search for the bug you mentioned) and I'm adding colour-changing LEDs when the ball drains or when Jaws eats a victim...the whole table will be lit red. Very cool I think. I also want to add bump mapped cuts and slashes to the Jaws model that appear the more times he's hit. So probably sometime tomorrow if I don't have any major issues.

All the other updates are complete, just testing so they should be up later today. I try not to make promises because something can always go wrong, or real life gets in the way.

George:

I think the issue with this new feature is it was very difficult to understand the complicated instructions for it's use. I'm an intelligent guy with some background experience in 3D art and animation but I was like....eh? So for years I didn't bother. But yesterday I was so determined to give it a go and so I figured the easy part out, but the 2nd more complicated part is just beyond my understanding at this time. An experienced modeller would probably get it but I'd say a very high percentage of all Future Pinball authors wouldn't have a clue. Which is why no one is using it (except Smoke).

BAM is a powerful game enhancing tool and it's full potential will likely never be realised by any author. But already using only a fraction of it's power, just look how amazing Future Pinball is today. For me, hands down the best virtual pinball simulation on the planet...until Future Pinball 2 comes along. Somebody needs to track down Chris Leathley (in Australia I think) and tempt him back.

And a bizarre and interesting fact: Me and Chris Leathley were both born in Leeds, West Yorkshire. And I've never spoken to him and yet I've dedicated the last 10 years of my life to his creation.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 am 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Terry:

The older version download links are still on the games page of my site. I won't replace them until I have the new files uploaded.

https://speak1970.wixsite.com/slamspinb ... rium/games

Hopefully it shouldn't take too long with Jaws. I've fixed one small bug (but now I have to search for the bug you mentioned) and I'm adding colour-changing LEDs when the ball drains or when Jaws eats a victim...the whole table will be lit red. Very cool I think. I also want to add bump mapped cuts and slashes to the Jaws model that appear the more times he's hit. So probably sometime tomorrow if I don't have any major issues.

All the other updates are complete, just testing so they should be up later today. I try not to make promises because something can always go wrong, or real life gets in the way.

George:

I think the issue with this new feature is it was very difficult to understand the complicated instructions for it's use. I'm an intelligent guy with some background experience in 3D art and animation but I was like....eh? So for years I didn't bother. But yesterday I was so determined to give it a go and so I figured the easy part out, but the 2nd more complicated part is just beyond my understanding at this time. An experienced modeller would probably get it but I'd say a very high percentage of all Future Pinball authors wouldn't have a clue. Which is why no one is using it (except Smoke).

BAM is a powerful game enhancing tool and it's full potential will likely never be realised by any author. But already using only a fraction of it's power, just look how amazing Future Pinball is today. For me, hands down the best virtual pinball simulation on the planet...until Future Pinball 2 comes along. Somebody needs to track down Chris Leathley (in Australia I think) and tempt him back.

And a bizarre and interesting fact: Me and Chris Leathley were both born in Leeds, West Yorkshire. And I've never spoken to him and yet I've dedicated the last 10 years of my life to his creation.

That's VERY good to know about the links still for the older files being on the games page! Thanks!

As for Chris... he did contact Rav years ago (to compliment him about BAM and praising it)... and you can find him on both Youtube and Facebook. I'm just not sure if he ever will have interest again.

The better question is whether he has the original code and if he is even allowed to share it at all,etc. (it was rumored he sold rights long ago). It would be nice to at least get some kind of answer from "him" on that, so everyone can leave him alone if that's what he wants. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2061 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204 ... 207  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner