Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:07 am 

Hmm....i wonder if Rav could expand that to any image without a surface?

If you want to use a lot of images for an animation as example...that this won't work as you would need A LOT of surfaces for a full video, etc.

Still...VERY cool and simple.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:39 am 

Wait...your VR Jaws was using Image Sequence for the animated walls? Or was that using this method?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:54 am 

That link you posted is excellent and very appreciated...as there have been so many cool features over time it was hard to keep track. Show that stuff to SLAM!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 am 

I have had a little experience with texture swapping on CFTBL, very little actually. If you don't add a texture to a surface, the texture does not load. FP doesn't search the script for textures so it needs a method to force it to load like assigning it to a surface. If the script calls for a texture that is not loaded, it simply doesn't use anything. I haven't tried creating an image list and then adding the list to some table object. This might make the objects load. Gimli would probably know if it would work. I am pretty sure you couldn't use frame numbers with the xBAM.SetTexture code but would have to use the texture names instead. I'm not sure how you would set set frame rate for video though. Gimli set up swapable textures for the various rooms that you can change on the menu on CFTBL.

Audio files work differently. Any audio file that is added to the sound or music manage gets loaded whether it is used or not. On MOTU, I removed a great deal of unused audio that improved the table loading.

George

Last edited by GeorgeH on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 am 

Just catching up after the break.

Texture swapping and shadow mapping can make a big difference to the atmosphere of any game. And as you know, I'm all about creating an atmosphere in my games.

The basic technique I've been using for years has been fine except the loss of reflections on the main playfield surface, so I'm keen to fix that issue on all my games now.

I love the ability to swap the flashers for any colour using the mini playfield feature. It has been relatively easy to fake this over the years - my Gorgar for example, had the game switching hardware lights and textures to simulate Hell, but BAM makes this so much easier and quicker to do now, so I'll be using these new features in my future updates.

I'm still only scratching the surface of what BAM can do.

Amazing work guys!!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:02 am 

I'm beginning to warm up to shadow maps. It seems to make the Day to Night options work better in BAM. I'll probably try my hand at it after Gimli finishes the IJ table. Night versions of tables often end up being so dark that I can't see anything as well as I would like. It is why I have never been a fan of them.

George

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 am 

I will only add shadow maps if they look authentic and don't distract too much. On a real pinball machine you won't even notice the shadows. We only notice their absence in the video game world when we look for them.

Same with all the mechanical sounds; I'd love to add fx to each and every ball impact but I can't. So when that steel ball hits a metal rail and there's no sound, you notice that. I'm sure BAM has the capability to fix that too. The ball rolling fx had me perplexed for years, then Smoke figured it out.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:36 am 

TerryRed wrote:
Wait...your VR Jaws was using Image Sequence for the animated walls? Or was that using this method?

I have played with 4 different techniques for swapping rooms for VR :

1. Jaws VR uses overlays and image sequencer
(I projected the Jaws movie full size on all the walls, and for the Static Rooms of various motifs)
The overlays were rotated, massively enlarged and placed using the miniplayfield tool

Btw Slam I can use BAM to place and scale your movie clips anywhere. In jaws VR I grabbed it from the table and scaled it into a larger tv beside the table

2. Simple Texture swap of traditional partial walls
Like the wall in SLAMs current jaws
See CFTBL

3. Use "walls" from table editor and use mp tool again (similar to 1 but uses "walls" instead of "overlays")
And swap textures. Also see CFTBL

4. use a miniature complete all in one 3d room model that Bam scales to full size and then texture swap see Dragons Keep and NES pinball by Wild

Last edited by Gimli on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:55 am 

TerryRed wrote:
That link you posted is excellent and very appreciated...as there have been so many cool features over time it was hard to keep track. Show that stuff to SLAM!

Texture swapping , custom balls, magnetic fields,
and of course "miniplayfield" tool allow unbelievable creativity and are all dynamic in that they can be coded to morph based on game events

I intend to add Bam cameras and dynamic flippers and more thorough discussion of physics tweaks to that manual...

Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:06 am 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
I will only add shadow maps if they look authentic and don't distract too much. On a real pinball machine you won't even notice the shadows. We only notice their absence in the video game world when we look for them..

I am curious to see if you and Terry can develop a blend that meets these goals.

I am no lighting guy or artist but I can continue to tweak away...

The shadows can be barely noticeable as ambient light is increased.
The contrast of adjacent lights going on and off with game events makes you aware of their presence and if Rav can make ambient light codeable then we could enhance visibility of shadows at certain times for dramatic effect

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner