Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Ontario, Canada
It's not difficult to do...
It uses a lot of light objects ( previous number of lights involved x number of colours desired) and uses a "miniplayfield" for each field of colour.

I grabbed all the flashers as one mp and used that as a reference map for different colored flashers

The original flashers were at different elevations (assigned to different surfaces)
So I also had include that in my "map"

I used 4 mps
1. Original flashers
2.Red
3.Green
4 brownish

You could do the same with the GI lights...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Ontario, Canada
https://youtu.be/fnDxKABcgKE


Turns out if I use R,B,Y primary colors,
I can create different colors by superimposing combinations of lights ...cool
:?

No additional lights or miniplayfields utilized


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 pm
Posts: 536
Gimli wrote:
https://youtu.be/fnDxKABcgKE


Turns out if I use R,B,Y primary colors,
I can create different colors by superimposing combinations of lights ...cool
:?

No additional lights or miniplayfields utilized


Could you clarify...

are you using like 3 combined flashers for one flasher light for the different colours? You say you combine lights, but then no additional lights required? We only have 7 hardware lights to use.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Ontario, Canada
If you take a flasher that is set to red in table editor
And superimpose a second flasher set to another color like yellow using Bam miniplayfield tool then the colors are blended and you get a very bright (2 flashers) orange...if I superimpose
3 different colored flashers at once r,y,b I get white....

I have essentially superimposed 4 layers of flashers with diff colors using bam and in script I fade in and out any combo of layers using
Scale = 0 or 1
You can also of course turn individual lights off within layers using usual
Bulb.state = BulbOn/off/blink


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 pm
Posts: 536
Gimli wrote:
If you take a flasher that is set to red in table editor
And superimpose a second flasher set to another color like yellow using Bam miniplayfield tool then the colors are blended and you get a very bright (2 flashers) orange...if I superimpose
3 different colored flashers at once r,y,b I get white....

I have essentially superimposed 4 layers of flashers with diff colors using bam and in script I fade in and out any combo of layers using
Scale = 0 or 1
You can also of course turn individual lights off within layers using usual
Bulb.state = BulbOn/off/blink


So as long as you don't have more than 7 flashers going at once then that would work fine.

Sucks that we are stuck with only 7 hardware lights.

Combine this stuff and Shadowmaps, and FP tables could really look amazing.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Ontario, Canada
TerryRed wrote:
Gimli wrote:
So as long as you don't have more than 7 flashers going at once then that would work fine.

Sucks that we are stuck with only 7 hardware lights.

Combine this stuff and Shadowmaps, and FP tables could really look amazing.


How does the 7 light limit express itself ? Is it in DOF settings?

I have 12 going at once....I think ? Certainly 8 works see video

Addendum:
I just added 20 flashers on the table and set them to blink...with no problem....
And the the other coloured flashers still work at the same time ....thats 36 flashers...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 pm
Posts: 536
Gimli wrote:
TerryRed wrote:
Gimli wrote:
So as long as you don't have more than 7 flashers going at once then that would work fine.

Sucks that we are stuck with only 7 hardware lights.

Combine this stuff and Shadowmaps, and FP tables could really look amazing.


How does the 7 light limit express itself ? Is it in DOF settings?

I have 12 going at once....I think ? Certainly 8 works see video

Addendum:
I just added 20 flashers on the table and set them to blink...with no problem....
And the the other coloured flashers still work at the same time ....thats 36 flashers...


This has nothing to do with DOF. I'm referring to FP's "hardware lights" which it normally has a limit of 7 at one time.

Hardware lights are the only lights that will give a "per-pixel" rendering...i think. Rav would need to confirm this.

The "flashers" will still work if you have more than 7...but I'm sure that only the first 7 active lights will be "hardware" lights. Once one of those first 7 are off, then another light that comes on after will be hardware as well....and on and on.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Ontario, Canada
interesting stuff Terry....I haven't done much work with lighting


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm
Posts: 2859
Location: Ontario, Canada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zNDU0 ... e=youtu.be


Ok guys, let's all have a look a shadow maps in BAM
Watch this video it is crazy !
It looks amazing, thanks Rav!

here is the thread that explains it :
http://gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6656

The process does not look too difficult....


Last edited by Gimli on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 pm
Posts: 536
Yah.. I was watching that the other day. Totally sweet. You can see what I mean with the difference with a flasher acting as a Hardware Light in New Renderer vs FP Original.

The only big limitation is that this seems to only cast on the actual playfield. This works great for a standard table, but for guys like SLAM who change up the playfield texture by rendering another surface texture (dark, different colour,etc) it won't work with that.

However...with this Shadowmap feature...maybe that won't be needed as much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 13 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: