Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Arcade Mode - MOD for Future Pinball
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:33 am 

ravarcade wrote:
BAM update. v223

Faster table loading / removed FP disk operations
FP all BMP, JPG, OGG, WAV resources from FPT, FPL files copy to disk to FPTMP$$$.* files before it load. For example it is ~350 files for Arabian Nights. In this BAM version that operations are converted to plain memory copy. No disk operations. Table loading is faster now.

I didn't know it works this way. ...So it used to copy the files to disc and then load to memory? It seems to be a waste. The tables don't seem to load faster but my PC is pretty fast anyway. Should we add FPM models to the list?

I have noticed that textures and not loaded to memory unless they are used (which I think is the reason you have to add swapable texture to a table object). Do audio files (like OGG and WAV) work the same way? I have noticed that unused textures and models can be automatically deleted from FP but audio files cannot.

I have noticed that Visual Pinball tables have script similar to FP. How possible would it be to be able to write a program that converts tables from one to the other?

George

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
I didn't know it works this way. ...So it used to copy the files to disc and then load to memory? It seems to be a waste. The tables don't seem to load faster but my PC is pretty fast anyway. Should we add FPM models to the list?

Thery are removed from disk operations in BAM v.222.
Now all temporary files created by FP are keeped in memory, not on disk.
... and load time is improved even for fast computer. By load time i mean time when you load table to editor (before you press F5).

GeorgeH wrote:
I have noticed that textures and not loaded to memory unless they are used (which I think is the reason you have to add swapable texture to a table object). Do audio files (like OGG and WAV) work the same way? I have noticed that unused textures and models can be automatically deleted from FP but audio files cannot.

FP knows if texture is used, because it is assigned to object in editor.
FP can't know if sound (wav/ogg) is used, becasue it can be played from script. FP don't have any logic/AI needed to interprete script and detect if sound is used or not.

GeorgeH wrote:
I have noticed that Visual Pinball tables have script similar to FP. How possible would it be to be able to write a program that converts tables from one to the other?

George

I think, that people are not interested in converting FP table to VP.
LvR created full doc about FP file formats and data structures 5 (or more) years ago.
So, it is possible. As proof, you can look at unity 3d pinball... but there is no point in doing this.
I guess it would be very complicated. You need to understand both FP & VP to create this.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:54 pm 

Thanks Rav.

George

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm 

Unit3DPinball should have been open source. That + Bam maybe were the holy cow. The great physics on VP + the real 3D on FP would be fantastic.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 am 

blindpeser wrote:
Unit3DPinball should have been open source. That + Bam maybe were the holy cow. The great physics on VP + the real 3D on FP would be fantastic.

We can only dream, but never happen. Unit3D sure left a bad taste in peoples mouths, and though vpx is fantastic with what they have done, it's just way to complex and hard for the average person to use now. Just too many things to have to learn now, most people just don't have the time. Shame the way things have turned out now.

At least we have this, though I'm sure Rav will one of these days get fed up with trying to bypass FP and combat all it's various flaws. If I was at that level of programming like Rav, I wouldn't even bother with FP, just do my own editor and give it the ability to convert fpt files while using vpx physics (as VP is open source)

The other alternative is Unity, there are a couple tables done by shaderbytes that use unity based physics with VPM, Elvis and tommy I believe, and they are both excellent, better than vpx. If he ever released the assets, then that would be a good start to a new editor, but then unity is a very complex game engine and that would require a team effort.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: FPx Template Engine

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 am 

https://forum.unity.com/threads/shaderb ... ad.514429/

Wow, never heard about this. I have to check these tables soon. It looks like this guy an Rav could be an incredible force.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 am 

Thanks Rafal,for your hard job.and especially that's free, good luck with Bam.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:02 am 

Again thank you. FP just runs so much better now. I do have a request, and it's with shadow maps. Is it possible for BAM to create a tga image file of the shadows generated in the proper playfield dimensions that is transparent, that we can load back in and use for say shadows to overlay on plastics? This way we can match the shadows on higher surfaces that the bulbs and flashers do not handle very well, or still have shadows even when all the bulbs/flashers are off.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:55 am 

blue wrote:
Again thank you. FP just runs so much better now. I do have a request, and it's with shadow maps. Is it possible for BAM to create a tga image file of the shadows generated in the proper playfield dimensions that is transparent, that we can load back in and use for say shadows to overlay on plastics? This way we can match the shadows on higher surfaces that the bulbs and flashers do not handle very well, or still have shadows even when all the bulbs/flashers are off.

beta v224:
https://www.ravarcade.pl/beta/BAM.dll
You have command to save selected shadow map as transparent TGA.
Also you can set "offset". If you have top surface = 29.0 you can set offset = 29.0 and shadow will be calculated for that surface.
Note:
- you will have to change Ammount or Passes to make "upadate" button active.
- "offset" is not saved.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm 

Thanks. Didn't work the way I wanted though. What I was going to do was attach it to a hologram, and layer over the plastics in my game with multiple opacity. I need to be able to modify the image in photoshop as well, so I can't do it with the tga file BAM generates as it's solid black, and doesn't appear to work as a hologram (at least I can't get it to view as straight shadows and nothing else).

Maybe I can do a workaround using the png files, or just draw the shadows like I have done before.

Will "offset" be saveable down the road?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner