Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Frontends » PinballX

Post subject: Using PinballX with FP
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 am 

For those of you who are using PinballX to launch Future Pinball...do you keep your tables with all the support files all in the Tables directory or a ZIP file? I just think the Tables directory gets unmanageable if you start dropping every file in there. And PinballX won't work with the files organized into subdirectories. It does work with all the files for a table in a ZIP file but I'm finding that a pain anytime I want to edit the table. A feature was just added to launch the table from the Game Manager but that runs the table instead of letting me modify it in the editor.

The main problem I've run into is the FP-intercept mod to drive the LedWiz isn't working if I use PinballX to launch a table that is inside a ZIP file. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm really trying hard to hold myself back from writing my own front end...I'm sure that's how PinballX got started. I develop GUI's professionally so it would be fun but I've got a full time job and plenty of side jobs so I'd rather spend the time creating a table or adding LedWiz support to tables. I dropped them a small donation to try to help.

The other thing bugging me is I still kinda liked Hyperpin also and now I've gotta deal with every front end wanting to have their own folder structure and copy of all the media files. Would be nice if we created a standard where all the media could be stored in one place and you could use multiple front ends. But I know I'm dreamin...

Thanks,
Gil

Post subject: Re: Using PinballX with FP
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm 

Personally I keep all the "extra" files in the Library folder and all the tables in the Tables folder. If you leave them zipped they will not function when loaded directly by FP. You would also possibly run into problems with zip files containing multiple builds and subfolders etc (unless you are re-zipping them and organizing them yourself).

For folder structures between different frontends you could always use the good old "subst" command to create new virtual paths. I'm sure there are a ton of windows type redirect apps out there too :)

Post subject: Re: Using PinballX with FP
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 pm 

Cool...I didn't know I could move them over to the Library folder and have them still be found. That will work. Yeah I've been unzipping editing and rezipping...

Board index » Frontends » PinballX