Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Zedpinball Mod

Post subject: any new tabel for zedpinball mod ?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:42 am 

I have notice that it has been quiet on the zedpinball tables ?

any new mods coming out soon ?

Post subject: Re: any new tabel for zedpinball mod ?
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:57 pm 

I have been adding the zed flipper a and b models to tables as I tweak them to suit my personal physics calibration. With proper adjustment it solves all the inherent FP problems with angular velocity and torque which then let's you shoot where you are actually aiming.

If I am trying to get the typical Williams 90 era feel, I'll set flipper a to 56 degrees soft and level 2 strength, and flipper b to 60 degrees hard and somewhere at half to three quarter strength.

Add the new flippers to the table script.

Table slope always at 7.3

I have my own xml and bmp folders which is loaded with my own ball graphics and physics setting which I call Real Phun Physics.

And run it all with BAM.

Each table takes only a few minutes to set up, and then a few games to calibrate the kickers rubber etc.

I just finished with the brilliant original Jaws table and the slamt1lt mod and must say, this is a fantastic table design from Rom.

Maybe one day I'll get permission to upload the modified tables and do so, but it is really easy to do all this yourself and set the table up to exactly how you like to play it.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:17 am 

malifica wrote:
I have been adding the zed flipper a and b models to tables as I tweak them to suit my personal physics calibration. ...

How do you set up the flippers?

George

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:17 pm 

George,

First you need to import the Zed Library Models. Since I only use the Flipper C1a and Flipper C1b models, I import these from the ZedModels.fpl

I then select the original left flipper, change the model to Flipper-C1a-Long-Zed (this is the modified collision mesh flipper) in the drop down box.

Then I right click and copy and then paste. Then right click again and assign the new flipper to a different layer (If the original is on layer 2 I assign the new copied flipper to layer 3). Then I change the name of the new flipper to LeftFlipper1 and then change the model to Flipper-C1b-Long-Zed (this is the hub only model (is just a circle) which provides the additional torque that gives us better resolution of the ball aiming without being limited to an overpowered soft rubber (needed for proper ball rebound) flipper).

You will now do the same for the right flipper.

So you should have 2 original flippers with the C1a model applied and 2 new flippers with the C1b model applied. Each new flipper should be named RightFlipper1 and LeftFlipper1.

Open the script and Find LeftFlipper. You should select the line that says LeftFlipper.SolenoidOn and copy and paste directly beneath it and just add a 1 to the end of LeftFlipper. So your code should look like this after you have done both the Left and Right Flippers...

If (KeyCode = GetKeyCode(LeftFlipperKey)) Then
LeftFlipper.SolenoidOn
LeftFlipper1.SolenoidOn
End If
If (KeyCode = GetKeyCode(RightFlipperKey)) Then
RightFlipper.SolenoidOn
RightFlipper1.SolenoidOn
End If

You will also find a few entries for the SolenoidOff command. Do the same there where you add the new set of flippers. Make sure you don't mistakenly paste an On where it should be an Off. I have made that mistake and it made for some interesting flipper action... :o

Once that is done you have the flippers working and ready to adjust. Load the table. I now set my flippers to a baseline of strength 2 and material soft for the C1a original flippers ( I also adjust the swing to 56 degrees for any 1980's or later table) and then strength half way and material hard for the C1b hub only flippers ( I always use +/-4 swing degrees on hub only models, so if the original is -56 / 56 this will be -60 / 60 degrees of motion and so on).

Play the table.

Now adjust the strength slider on the C1b model to your liking. This is where it is nice to have the hub only model on a different layer in the editor than the original flippers, as it makes it not impossible to select ;)

This may look daunting, but after you have done it on a table or two you will realize it is quite simple and it yields fantastic results that really breathe new life in otherwise forgotten tables.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:35 pm 

malifica wrote:
George,

First you need to import the Zed Library Models. Since I only use the Flipper C1a and Flipper C1b models, I import these from the ZedModels.fpl) flipper).

C1a and b have medium and long flipper models. I take it I just use the same size as the existing flippers? ...Or you actually just said to use the long... never mind.

George

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:00 pm 

George,

I was just using that model as an example to communicate my process for adding the zed flipper formula to existing tables. Any of the zed flipper pairs will work.

However, as I continue playing with blue's new Star Trek XSE release I may re-evaluate what is the best way to implement accurate flippers. blue's zed, wall and trigger method is quite effective, though I am finding myself struggling with the concept and how it may ignore some less frequent ball dynamic possibilities... Still, it is a unique and genius approach to the flipper issue.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:47 pm 

malifica wrote:
George,

I was just using that model as an example to communicate my process for adding the zed flipper formula to existing tables. Any of the zed flipper pairs will work.

However, as I continue playing with blue's new Star Trek XSE release I may re-evaluate what is the best way to implement accurate flippers. blue's zed, wall and trigger method is quite effective, though I am finding myself struggling with the concept and how it may ignore some less frequent ball dynamic possibilities... Still, it is a unique and genius approach to the flipper issue.

I'm curious about Blue's method too. Gimli is working on a revision to the Indiana Jones table that is using Blue's method of flippers that Blue used on the Playboy table. The flippers do work nicely on the test version of the IJ table Gimli sent me. I think the trigger method is something new Blue thought up for Star Trek XSE. I noticed on the Playboy table the Zed flipper he uses is short on top of a long flipper. I don't know why he does that.

George

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm 

I guess I will have to write a tutorial explaining this. I have the IJ beta, looking at it now, and see a couple things as the flippers are not set rightly for lower shots. I have been getting a lot of requests the last couple days, so a bit stacked up, but will reset the flippers tonight and send it off. The slings are not great either, so I will add my 3 stage slings as well. Pretty easy stuff (well to me at least, I did spend the time working it out after all)

The xml included with Star Trek helps a lot, IJ doesn't have one, but really just a angle change is all that is needed.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: FPx Template Engine

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:18 am 

blue wrote:
I guess I will have to write a tutorial explaining this. I have the IJ beta, looking at it now, and see a couple things as the flippers are not set rightly for lower shots. I have been getting a lot of requests the last couple days, so a bit stacked up, but will reset the flippers tonight and send it off. The slings are not great either, so I will add my 3 stage slings as well. Pretty easy stuff (well to me at least, I did spend the time working it out after all)

The xml included with Star Trek helps a lot, IJ doesn't have one, but really just a angle change is all that is needed.

I'd be interested in the tutorial.

The IJ table uses the custom physics from the 3.0 table that you can get here:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... _adventure

George

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:07 am 

To be honest, not a big fan of the custom physics. To slow for the game, but minor adjustments to increase the speed would make a big difference. Already talked to Ghemimli, told him to play with it first with the angles, use my slings if he wants to. The flippers work great (Nice to know actually, they were custom designed just for star trek) and I'm sure the table will be pretty awesome soon enough.

Since I have freed up some time, I will try and explain the basic setup with the flippers and the concept behind them tonight or tomorrow, before I disappear again to start work on my new project.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: FPx Template Engine

Board index » Future Pinball » Zedpinball Mod