Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 pm 

Cool,
I did add nanoflash model
To IJ and used same name RL1Flasher or whatever so I'll use his cfg file again...I've messed around with ambient and table attenuation etc...but he may have other flashers too ....

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:12 pm 

They must be flashers though in the table editor or it won't work the same. It isn't about was he does in the script and name he uses for the light. You have to use an actual flasher in the editor. Bulbs aren't hardware lights so if IJ is using a bulb...then you won't have the same level of lighting or the same effects.

Try with Jaws UPro and you'll see.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm 

Gimli wrote:
...I just confirmed with Rav that we can texture swap the playfield image using BAM coding...
cool

...So I presume the idea is to create a darker version of the playfield texture and use the BAM code to swap between the light and dark version of the playfield at the right time at the right time?

George

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 am 

GeorgeH wrote:
Gimli wrote:
...I just confirmed with Rav that we can texture swap the playfield image using BAM coding...
cool

...So I presume the idea is to create a darker version of the playfield texture and use the BAM code to swap between the light and dark version of the playfield at the right time at the right time?

George

Exactly and because there are no obscuring surfaces acting as fake playfields then shadow maps should always work ? I hope....

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 am 

Gimli wrote:
GeorgeH wrote:
Gimli wrote:
cool

George

Exactly and because there are no obscuring surfaces acting as fake playfields then shadow maps should always work ? I hope....

Easiest way to find out is using New table and have the BAM command to switch PF texutre in a loop using a Timer to change the playfield images over and over again...and then have a key trigger the shadow map.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 am 

TerryRed wrote:
They must be flashers though in the table editor or it won't work the same. It isn't about was he does in the script and name he uses for the light. You have to use an actual flasher in the editor. Bulbs aren't hardware lights so if IJ is using a bulb...then you won't have the same level of lighting or the same effects.

Try with Jaws UPro and you'll see.

I will try it thanks.. I actually copy and pasted the objects from one table to the other after I imported the triangular nanoflash flasher texture...so the names are the same and the textures and type of light ie flasher...

I think I botched it by monkeying with Slams CFG file...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:52 am 

If the PF texture can be swapped out...i wonder how fast exactly. Ive seen SLAM and Steve Paradis do that using things like multi-layered surfaces for the PF...but if the PF can be one single layer that never needs to hidden,etc...then this can make for a pretty realistic PF images with some really cool lighting. If the TGA image for the shadowmaps is tied to the actual light in script...then that's great stuff.

A playfield HUD can't be used in this way because I think it is self luminous so it wont cast shadows....like the Translite.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:54 am 

TerryRed wrote:
[
Easiest way to find out is using New table and have the BAM command to switch PF texutre in a loop using a Timer to change the playfield images over and over again...and then have a key trigger the shadow map.

Yes the shadow maps should be active on all swapped images when a given light is on

We'll see....

The shadows on/off switch didn't seem to work for me

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:57 am 

TerryRed wrote:
If the PF texture can be swapped out...i wonder how fast exactly. Ive seen SLAM and Steve Paradis do that using things like multi-layered surfaces for the PF...but if the PF can be one single layer that never needs to hidden,etc...then this can make for a pretty realistic PF images with some really cool lighting. If the TGA image for the shadowmaps is tied to the actual light in script...then that's great stuff.

A playfield HUD can't be used in this way because I think it is self luminous so it wont cast shadows....like the Translite.

I was thinking the same thing...it seems instantaneous

If all this works it can be a marvellous blend of all the tricks...I have also asked Rav about codability of all of BAMs light settings ...which give table devs "dynamic" lighting based on game events

I created a movie swapping textures on a target that I attached to an invisible ball :)

Last edited by Gimli on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 am 

Gimli wrote:
TerryRed wrote:
[

Yes the shadow maps should be active on all swapped images when a given light is on

We'll see....

The shadows on/off switch didn't seem to work for me

In BAM settings I set that to my left flipper key for left sling map...and right for right....then exited out and it worked in game too. In VR this looks really good. In Jaws UPro, I have ambient almost to 0.

Oh, and tried your Jaws VR...pretty cool, if a bit dizzying. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner