GoPinball.com
http://www.gopinball.com/forum/

BAM Lighting Setup
http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=8122
Page 8 of 16

Author:  GeorgeH [ Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

You went through the options too fast for me but the results tend to verify that I don't see a reason to do this on Day versions of tables.

George

Author:  TerryRed [ Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

GeorgeH wrote:
You went through the options too fast for me but the results tend to verify that I don't see a reason to do this on Day versions of tables.

George


The point of shadowmaps (and hardware lighting like what slam used in Jaws UPro) is so that you won't need a day / night version of a table anymore.

Design a table around these two factors and you could have it looking REALLY sharp.

Author:  Gimli [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

I think shadow maps will be cool..I have it working on Indiana Jones

It really only works on tables with one playfield image but...I'll check if BAM allows texture swapping of playfield...in which case we're golden !

Or as my brother in law would say "we're Molson Golden"

Author:  Gimli [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

Actually this table does have 2 playfield textures and it does work...

I added the Bam generated Shadow maps for the flashers and the sling shots...
but it is most noticible for the sling shots

I also added the nanoflash and GI on/off coding that Slam uses..

I am no expert and this is by no means a finished product..just a demo

https://youtu.be/SgwZV-0mf50

Author:  GeorgeH [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

It sort of uses 2 playfield textures. It actually uses the same playfield texture in 2 locations in order to have light and dark flashes of the playfield. So I suppose that it has 2 playfield textures in effect because of it.

The lighting still looks pretty good. Would it look better with just one playfield?

It seems like there should be a different way of getting light and dark flashes of the playfield, but I don't know of any. After thinking about it a bit, the shadows are probably not needed when the playfield goes dark.

George

Author:  TerryRed [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

GeorgeH wrote:
It sort of uses 2 playfield textures. It actually uses the same playfield texture in 2 locations in order to have light and dark flashes of the playfield. So I suppose that it has 2 playfield textures in effect because of it.

The lighting still looks pretty good. Would it look better with just one playfield?

It seems like there should be a different way of getting light and dark flashes of the playfield, but I don't know of any. After thinking about it a bit, the shadows are probably not needed when the playfield goes dark.

George



Ideally...if a table had hardware lights in slings tied to the GI like the new Jaws...then those light up the table and display the shadowmaps, so maybe no need to change up the playfield texture at all for dark ambient lighting when flashers are used?

Author:  Gimli [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

TerryRed wrote:
Ideally...if a table had hardware lights in slings tied to the GI like the new Jaws...then those light up the table and display the shadowmaps, so maybe no need to change up the playfield texture at all for dark ambient lighting when flashers are used?


I did take Slam's GI lights and used his same sling code from jaws...but i must not have it quite set the same or his technique and light choices have changed ...but I coded it the same

I updated the video and added another shadow map to the second sling light...
https://youtu.be/bF7b4t3en7s


I just confirmed with Rav that we can texture swap the playfield image using BAM coding...
cool

Code:
xBAM.SetPlayfieldTexture "WhatEverTexture"

Author:  TerryRed [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

I think the difference is, SLAM is probably using a Flasher / Hardware Light for the GI sling lights....not a bulb.

Flasher / Hardware light will illuminate the entire table when setup right.

Author:  Gimli [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

Once we figure this out , we can nuance the shadows by alternating lights from the same general location as you most notice the shadows when lights turn off then on....or when you change camera angles by panning around playfield

Author:  TerryRed [ Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BAM Lighting Setup

...and confirmed.

I just tried messing with Jaws. He has a Flasher under each sling for the GI. Just start a game first, then goto shadowmaps options and add a shadowmap to each flasher under the sling. Then assign a key to toggle.

It works!

Page 8 of 16 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/