Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 pm 

Thought of a couple things before, so at least share ideas. No way I can see to change color in lights in BAM, so I thought use holograms instead. I seem to remember Eala doing this in VP many years ago, and writing his own lightsync for it, but I may be wrong there. You know him Slam, maybe you can ask him if he has done that, and which table. Any colors you want to have, just a image. Maybe even true fading lights as well.

Nice lighting display. It's amazing what you can do if you just play around in BAM. Some interesting results.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: fpxEngine

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:08 am 

blue wrote:
Thought of a couple things before, so at least share ideas. No way I can see to change color in lights in BAM, so I thought use holograms instead. I seem to remember Eala doing this in VP many years ago, and writing his own lightsync for it, but I may be wrong there. You know him Slam, maybe you can ask him if he has done that, and which table. Any colors you want to have, just a image. Maybe even true fading lights as well.

Nice lighting display. It's amazing what you can do if you just play around in BAM. Some interesting results.

That's seems to work nicely! and the big thing is....even with global lighting turned down to nothing...its still completely visible! That is a big deal and what FP really needs badly!

I wondered if he is doing something similar to what JP's RGB script is doing on VP...using a Timer that is always checking the colour state,etc for dimming...maybe colour cycling as well.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am 

Not sure about that. It was something I stored in my memory years ago, always wanted to try it but not good enough to write the code for it. Holograms are new to me, so only starting to learn the code now (like dmds, I only ever used gas displays for my 2 games)

The nice thing about the idea is the flexibility. You can define multiple light states for the fading effect, swapping text, or other things just by creating the image. You can overlay the hologram over a light so you can have a simple glow effect (or put a custom glow in the image) and also add code for a light seq effect with code that "triggers" the hologram if that light is on or off. You can even add a flare glow that rises from the pf with a unrendered bulb. ( Which I did with one of my tables. I even added a trigger over the top that turns off the glow if the ball rolls over it just for the effect)

Not just lights either. useful for a whole bunch of things as well. I wish I have the time to do my game, as I was going to introduce a few new things, but I keep piling on new stuff to do instead. Holograms are very very useful, lots of things you can think of that can add to the game, even minor ones.

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: fpxEngine

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 am 

Gimli wrote:
Not sure... probably Rav would know

I think Wecoc had a variable light colour trick...
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=55&t=5460&hilit=Lights

Can't remember his method but there is demo table

I think the flipper hit sound is doable within smokes code...

Sorry blue... my post was actually talking about gimli's link here....

...but yes that was my thoght way back was to use holograms as playfield lights somehow... but i assumed the amount of work would be crazy.

Maybe when some kind of established template and sub routine that all of those tpye of lights can use could make it easier. at some point. After all hologams can also be completely self-luminose...you just need something behind them to look more solid if needed.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:24 am 

I can fake colour changing lights like Dave did in VP. Like most things in FP it's a simple trick but very time consuming. I was hoping for BAM to work it's magic and make it easy for the authors, we have a million other things to focus on.

No big deal though, it is just window dressing and does absolutely nothing for gameplay. And so far the only game I would use it for would be my Stern Star Trek....until we gather a talented team to take on JJP's Wizard of Oz!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 am 

I am sifting through a bunch of bad ideas I'll let you know which one wins...

https://youtu.be/fkyHN1FPym4

I created a light panel for each colour (ROYGBIV)
and grabbed each panel as an MP and superimposed them....
this would be easy to code using light list manager to any sequence you wish...

I chose lights but it can be bulbs or whatever..

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:06 pm 

https://youtu.be/MfOhgCzom8w

Ya , I guess bam won't help with flasher glare ?
Here is a video where I take two flashers and move them behind and under objects....

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:50 pm 

Great job on the lighting. You see...anything is possible when you put your mind to it. As George McFly would say.

Can you create shapable light inserts using your method?

It's a strange thing with the flair on the flashers and transparent bumper caps (solid bumper caps no issues). All other flairs work fine. Must be a bug in the programming.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Can you create shapable light inserts using your method?

Which method do you mean?

The multicolor method will work any type of lights...

Bam can grab any type of table object both on and off the table and superimpose them /animate them

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:25 pm 

I suppose I need to learn how to do BAM's mini-playfields. Have we thought about renaming it? It does a whole lot more than mini-playfields.

George

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner