Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post subject: BAM - Setting For Changing Kicker Impulse Power
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:33 pm 

When working on Jaws, I noticed that the harpoon launcher, which actually uses a hidden kicker to load and fire the ball, didn't have enough power to make it up the table and up ramps, even when set at max power. So I lowered ball mass, gravity and table slope to get the 'lighter' ball up the ramps.

Then I had an epiphany: "What about changing the kicker power?". So I increased the impulse power for kickers up to 1300. Now the harpoon launcher fires the ball as I originally intended, without compromising ball mass, gravity and table slope.

There is no option to do this within BAM (AFAIK) and can only be changed in the XML. Same with nudge impulse, for people that might want to add more movement to the ball when nudging.

For now, I've made the changes to my Jaws table (version 1.02) and added the updated XML to the script.

Post subject: Re: BAM - Setting For Changing Kicker Impulse Power
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:47 pm 

I suppose I am the culprit on not having the ability to change the kicker impulse in BAM when the table is loaded. Rav wasn't able to spend time adding all the parameters to BAM that are in the XML file, so he added the ones that I change the most. I rarely change kicker impulse so I just change it in the XML file. He said he could add more items if we find we use them quite a bit. If you think kicker impulse is something you will change a lot, you can ask Rav to add it.

I have noticed you haven't been saving the XML file to the script. Rav added a simple way to copy the XML to the clipboard. While you are on the physics tweaks menu, you hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys at the same time and type the letter "C" to copy the XML as a comment. Then you can exit the table and then paste it into the script. I usually don't do this until I am finished making changes to the XML because changes aren't saved into the script XML. I have noticed that the guys seem to like not having to deal with an external XML file. If you decide to try this, be aware the XML won't become active unless you have saved changes.

There is another way of adding an XML file to the script. You hold down the Ctrl key while typing the letter "C". None of us are using this method yet because Rav hasn't set it up so BAM recognizes all the parameters. Some parameters are used and some are not.

George

Post subject: Re: BAM - Setting For Changing Kicker Impulse Power
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:50 pm 

From now on, all my games will have the physics XML in the script, as is the case with Jaws ULTIMATE Pro 1.02.

I didn't realise how most of the options are needed to fine tune my games. And this is the first time I've needed to change the power of the kicker impulse, so it's not something anyone other than a game creator would need to play around with.

Thanks for the info.

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner