Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: BAM Lighting Setup
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 am 

Interesting that the overlay can also be manipulated and positioned anywhere using the mini playfield feature.

I've used the hologram feature many times for some great moments in my games - the live action video mode of Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker is my personal favourite, but the hologram always had a height restriction, a maximum offset of 100, so this limited it's use. Plus, as I've mentioned before, it doesn't layer behind solid objects.

Now that we can use overlays in the same way without these restrictions, there's so much more we can do.

BUT, pinball should always be 90% under the glass action and 10% display. It's a worrying trend seeing that percentage shifting towards the display, especially with more recent games from Stern and Jersey Jack. I'm old school and so as much as I love movie clips and fancy animations, I will always maintain that high percentage of gameplay action.

I do wonder when Zen will stop using monochrome DMDs for their displays. There's clearly a job opportunity at their studio for an LCD animator in the near future.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:18 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Interesting that the overlay can also be manipulated and positioned anywhere using the mini playfield feature.

I've used the hologram feature many times for some great moments in my games - the live action video mode of Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker is my personal favourite, but the hologram always had a height restriction, a maximum offset of 100, so this limited it's use. Plus, as I've mentioned before, it doesn't layer behind solid objects.

Now that we can use overlays in the same way without these restrictions, there's so much more we can do.

BUT, pinball should always be 90% under the glass action and 10% display. It's a worrying trend seeing that percentage shifting towards the display, especially with more recent games from Stern and Jersey Jack. I'm old school and so as much as I love movie clips and fancy animations, I will always maintain that high percentage of gameplay action.

I do wonder when Zen will stop using monochrome DMDs for their displays. There's clearly a job opportunity at their studio for an LCD animator in the near future.

If they added videos, then their tables would be much larger in size...and they like their mobile market. So I think the "dots" guy still has a job...even though they don't do dots :) They do their monochrome conversion, then add that god awefull filter to it. Luckily cab users can make that look like a nice hi-res DMD again with dots which looks so much better.

Yes...when I saw how the mini-playfield was working, the first thing i thought of was playfield Overlays! Hopefully if they can be "optionally" completely fully self-illuminated in the same way the original Overlay can then that opens up easier methods to work with.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 pm 

It leads to ridiculous ideas but anything defined as a "miniplayfield" can in turn be attached to an invisible rolling pinball...
I could have an overlay ball...not that that is useful :lol:

In Indiana Jones , I have a massive boulder that clobbers you at the start of multiball...I attached a textured boulder that I scaled up and attached to an invisible ball.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:28 am 

TerryRed wrote:
If they added videos, then their tables would be much larger in size...and they like their mobile market. So I think the "dots" guy still has a job...even though they don't do dots :) They do their monochrome conversion, then add that god awefull filter to it. Luckily cab users can make that look like a nice hi-res DMD again with dots which looks so much better.

My advice to Zen, if they're watching, you never know! Drop the monochrome display, make it a colour DMD at the very least. Even the Pro Pinball series of games used colour DMDs - 30 years ago! What Zen continues to use is just plain awful in every way.

I did notice that they started to add video clips to the playfield on some games, so they certainly have the tech to create LCD animations.

Gimli wrote:
In Indiana Jones , I have a massive boulder that clobbers you at the start of multiball...I attached a textured boulder that I scaled up and attached to an invisible ball.

I'd like to see that!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm 

Ok, I finally figured out how to successfully add cool looking shadow maps using BAM.

Best if I just show you in a demo table. It's late now and I've run out of time but tomorrow I'll release one of my classic EM mods - Bally's Star Trek, updated with advanced lighting techniques, including realistic shadow maps.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 pm 

SLAMT1LT wrote:
Ok, I finally figured out how to successfully add cool looking shadow maps using BAM.

Best if I just show you in a demo table. It's late now and I've run out of time but tomorrow I'll release one of my classic EM mods - Bally's Star Trek, updated with advanced lighting techniques, including realistic shadow maps.

Great! I have been trying to figure shadow maps but my limited knowledge of lighting is a bit of a stumbling block.

George

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 am 

SLAMT1LT wrote:

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see that! I'm absolutely loving all the tinkering and development you guys have been doing.

Lots of people tend to think FP's ball looks like it's floating. Few reasons for that...older physics...ball texture...no shadow or reflection. I'm sure the no reflection was a result of multiple pf surfaces being used. I wonder now if a shadow and reflection can be better utilized since the pf texture can be swapped on the fly.

EM's i think are cool...but the simple classic bells,etc for sounds just don't hold interest for me. With updated visuals , movie / tv music and sound effects....they are totally different.

Like your Six Million Dollar Man mod... I got that just so I can hear the "bionic" sound when launching the ball...hahah.

Oh, and I'm sure I may be the only 4K TV user playing FP...but the newer nvidia drivers mess up OpenGL in 4K at 60HZ using HDMI with vsync on. This messes up FP. Turning off vsync fixes it. For now I rolled back to older drivers to fix the problem.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:36 am 

SLAMT1LT wrote:

That's great news , thanks Slam !!

Oh ya, another cool thing I discovered
is you can animate objects with Bam at the same time they are animating with other techniques :shock:

For instance in IJ, Slam previously animated spinning props on the airplane models . I grabbed the planes each in a mp and animated a dogfight
Using BAM WHILE at the same time the props are spinning using the previous code

In another example I grabbed Ravs animated lamp keeper model guy and shrunk him using mp and attached him to an invisible ball and he continues to animate even while rolling around table as a hitable ball.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm 

Gimli wrote:
SLAMT1LT wrote:

That's great news , thanks Slam !!

Oh ya, another cool thing I discovered
is you can animate objects with Bam at the same time they are animating with other techniques :shock:

For instance in IJ, Slam previously animated spinning props on the airplane models . I grabbed the planes each in a mp and animated a dogfight
Using BAM WHILE at the same time the props are spinning using the previous code

In another example I grabbed Ravs animated lamp keeper model guy and shrunk him using mp and attached him to an invisible ball and he continues to animate even while rolling around table as a hitable ball.

Awesome stuff Gimil. This reminds me of how I did Lightwave 3D animation back in the 90's.

A good example of a similar idea was used in the VP table Car Tunes. The theme of the table is that its an old EM "Barn Find" table that is rotting away, and one of it's cool features is a cockroach that runs around on the table and hides in the slings, the plastics, depending on where your ball hits, etc. This was done using a "ball" to act like a moving roach, and it works really well.

So...no none of your ideas Gimil are crazy...they're awesome.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm 

TerryRed wrote:
So...no none of your ideas Gimil are crazy...they're awesome.

Thanks Terry, I'll tell my Psychiatrist and more importantly my wife that you said so.... :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner