Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner

Post subject: Re: How to use Score / High Score with 15 digits and BAM.
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:17 pm 

I tested so many tables because I needed to find the exceptions. "Bride of Pinbot ULTIMATE 1.02" is the only one I found that uses "nvSpecialScore". This one sent Rav back to the drawing board. There was a problem with his new high score screen that he fixed as well.

I listed nearly all the tables I tested. As you can see, most of them needed no change at all other than adding the fix code. Only 4 tables (plus 3 others that we didn't change) were found that needed changes out of 34 total tables tested. That's pretty good odds that there won't be a problem when you add the fix code to a table.

I like this change even though I have never had a score overflow because I don't like the fixes that scripters have to use to work around this problem.

George

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:11 pm 

In an other hand, and for SS (for dot, I don't know at this time), when the score is over the number of digits, generaly the pinball just display the surplus score (ie for a 6 digits display 1120200 becomes 120200) and you don't beat the high score (but some pinballs give you credits when you are over the possibility of the display).
For EM, it's totally impossible (or you are really the Pinball Wizard).
For oldest pinballs (flipper à millions in french like this: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=112&picno=66263) where you can have hudge score, when you are over the max score, the pinball just show the max score.

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm 

Popotte wrote:
In an other hand, and for SS (for dot, I don't know at this time), when the score is over the number of digits, generaly the pinball just display the surplus score (ie for a 6 digits display 1120200 becomes 120200) and you don't beat the high score (but some pinballs give you credits when you are over the possibility of the display). ...

I found that segmented displays crop off the left side of the number as you said. It is pretty easy to add digits to a segmented display if you want to fix it. Scores on DMDs can crop off the number in either direction but it is often cropped on the right side. This is a bit more of a problem on a DMD. Probably the best solution is to reduce the size of the font as you did on CFTBL.

Even if the score on the display is cut off, the full score stays in the memory. When you enter a high score, the full score is displayed and added to the high score list even if the in-game display cuts it off. This might be a little inconvenient while you are playing the game, but it displays correctly on the high score list and you don't get any errors.

The builder of a table can probably guess about how high a score will go in a game and provide a large enough display to accommodate it. It doesn't really make sense to provide enough space on the display for 900 trillion points (15 digits) if the score can't possibly ever get that high.

George

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 am 

I think Popotte is telling how a real SS table deals with score exceeding display and that is likely what he would reproduce to get that authentic feel?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:45 am 

Gimli wrote:
I think Popotte is telling how a real SS table deals with score exceeding display and that is likely what he would reproduce to get that authentic feel?

Yes

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:38 am 

OK. Nice to know. I haven't played many real world pinball tables. When I was young, I didn't have much money so I saved it instead of playing pinball. There isn't any place I can go now days to play pinball.

George

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:38 pm 

Guys,

There is something you should know. In order to display a score of 15 digits, you must use the new high score screen which is the default when you install BAM. You can switch back to the old high score screen by going to the "Plugins" screen named "Pinball High Scores" and changing "Enabled" to "No". If you do that however, the maximum score will be 2,147,483,647 although you won't get an overflow error message now if you go above that score.

By the way, Rav just made a change where a new option has been added to the "Pinball High Scores" screen. You can now change the "Separator" so that a space, comma or a dot is placed in the score every 3 digits or you can select "None" for no separator. For those of you that are not aware, the United States uses a comma for a separator. Most of Europe uses a space and a few countries use a dot. ... So you can now select the separator that you want.

George

Board index » Future Pinball » BAM corner