Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Re: Convert HudDMD into DispDMD
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:12 pm 

Cool! It works now. I did like you said on the tutorial and just replaced the Future Pinbal.exe.

So if i understand correctly, running FP thru this Zed x64 executable is just for editing/creating tables and the BAM's FPLoader is to play them in order for BAM to manage physics and vr support etc. right? I was able to edit the table in question and afterwards was successful in loading it with the new background in vr using BAM-OpenVR FPLoader. So BAM as no problem at all rendering more than 800 objects or is it somewhat linked to the new x64 executable?

Sorry for bothering you with this details :oops: i'm just trying to figure things out, your help as saved me a few headaches that's for sure.

PS: I also noticed a small detail that i overlooked when making the background in photoshop, i just quickly gathered a few pics from the net and made a texture for the room model, however by mistake i set the picture with a resolution of 300 ppi instead of the usual 72, this crashed FP while trying to play the table, changing the resolution to 72 ppi fixed the crash. I'm not sure if this is a problem of this particular file or if FP can't load images with higher resolution, have to test it out with a few more textures.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 pm 

Rogerooo wrote:
So if i understand correctly, running FP thru this Zed x64 executable is just for editing/creating tables and the BAM's FPLoader is to play them in order for BAM to manage physics and vr support etc. right?

That is pretty much the way it used to work when it was first created. It has gone way beyond that now. There are new codes that can be added to the script now that will produce an error if you don't have BAM loaded. You can look at the "Dev Options" that are on the Config menu and see the new table development tools.

Rogerooo wrote:
I was able to edit the table in question and afterwards was successful in loading it with the new background in vr using BAM-OpenVR FPLoader. So BAM as no problem at all rendering more than 800 objects or is it somewhat linked to the new x64 executable?

BAM loads the FP program but it can add new options or change what is there (like the new score screen). BAM fixed a bug that was there originally. The bug is still there if you don't load BAM. BAM is basically an add on program that is a bit more sophisticated than most add ons. The Zed exe is a changed version of the FP original. It is what is what allows you to have > 800 objects. Ravarcade could probably fix it in BAM but I haven't asked him to do that yet.

Rogerooo wrote:
Sorry for bothering you with this details :oops: i'm just trying to figure things out, your help as saved me a few headaches that's for sure.

No problem. I'm retired so I have lots of time.

Rogerooo wrote:
PS: I also noticed a small detail that i overlooked when making the background in photoshop, i just quickly gathered a few pics from the net and made a texture for the room model, however by mistake i set the picture with a resolution of 300 ppi instead of the usual 72, this crashed FP while trying to play the table, changing the resolution to 72 ppi fixed the crash. I'm not sure if this is a problem of this particular file or if FP can't load images with higher resolution, have to test it out with a few more textures.

I have added and changed lots of textures and not had a problem although I use Paint Shop Pro. I have probably never set the resolution that high though. I don't know what the limits are.

George

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm 

I see, so BAM enhances FP whether you use the original executable or the x64 mod. My confusion was with the BAM's FPLoader.exe. Since that is what I use to load my tables I thought it was independent from the Future Pinball.exe but i now understand that it's purpose is to inject code onto the main Future Pinball.exe

About the texture, I was looking at some textures i made for other table's background and one of them was also in 300ppi and FP didn't crash with it...don't really know what was wrong with that file but i'll just make sure to use 72ppi in the future

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:09 am 

Rogerooo wrote:
I see, so BAM enhances FP whether you use the original executable or the x64 mod. My confusion was with the BAM's FPLoader.exe. Since that is what I use to load my tables I thought it was independent from the Future Pinball.exe but i now understand that it's purpose is to inject code onto the main Future Pinball.exe

Yes when you open the FPLoader, it opens both FP and BAM together. I suppose at some point the Zed exe may stop being compatible with BAM but it still works.

Rogerooo wrote:
About the texture, I was looking at some textures i made for other table's background and one of them was also in 300ppi and FP didn't crash with it...don't really know what was wrong with that file but i'll just make sure to use 72ppi in the future

I am pretty sure there are no defined limits for the size of the textures but your PC may be the limitation. The table where the high res texture worked probably had a smaller overall size than the one that crashed. Tables will crash when you don't have enough memory although the 64 bit Zed exe should help.

George

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:51 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
I am pretty sure there are no defined limits for the size of the textures but your PC may be the limitation. The table where the high res texture worked probably had a smaller overall size than the one that crashed. Tables will crash when you don't have enough memory although the 64 bit Zed exe should help.

You are probably right, even though my pc is not something over the top, I had to invest recently some money on it in order to run vr properly (its a bit expensive but well worth it in my opinion), it has a Nvidia 1070 GTX with 8gb of vram and 8gb of ram memory. What puzzles me the most is the fact that both files ended up with the same filesize of 1,13mb both the 300 and the 72 ppi...so in terms of memory it shouldn't make much difference. I'll have to try a few more textures and see where the problem came from, it might also be from photoshop.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:40 pm 

Rogerooo wrote:
...What puzzles me the most is the fact that both files ended up with the same filesize of 1,13mb both the 300 and the 72 ppi...so in terms of memory it shouldn't make much difference. I'll have to try a few more textures and see where the problem came from, it might also be from photoshop.

I think FP imposes limitations on memory somehow so it is probably not your PC, now that I think about it.

I have noticed FP does some odd things with the size of texture files. When I was working on the "Masters of the Universe" table, I made some changes to the way TerryRed set up the back board to reduce file size but make it look the same. I reduced the size of the textures by about 160 MB but the size of the table was only reduced by 100 MB. I don't understand it.

George

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:21 pm 

When you create a table. It is a good thing that the files that compose the FP table has not too much weight. Because when it load the components, it take some time. Pictures, musics, sounds, milkshape3d (ms3d) models.

So when you create Rogerooo some table, try to put it light weight. You have writen if i have correctly read, that you have difficulty to understand how to program things into FP. Well you can do a Google search and write: "Futurepinball Free Pdf Guides". You should find a link to some guides that i have written that are free. You can download them also if you want to read them and try them offline. The link to the guides is: http://sylvain.heliohost.org/creations/futurepinball/guides.html

I wonder how my table Faxanadu X would look like in VR??
http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-10255-faxanadu_x
Maybe hard because of some Hud components? One thing for sure, seiing the stats; peoples still like to download and play this game.

BAM is a very nice software and Rav is a nice guy. I have contributed in the past to it:
http://www.ravarcade.pl/?en_bam-update!,37

Well i hope that the guides will help you. Well i got to go, fiew things to prepare for tomorrow; and listening some free internet radio stations on my personnal site.

A+

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm 

Quote:
Well i hope that the guides will help you. Well i got to go, fiew things to prepare for tomorrow; and listening some free internet radio stations on my personnal site.

I have an answer for you, to your question.Refer to 5 January.....

if you do not want to read it, tell me that he deleted it from my outbox.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:09 pm 

20degree wrote:
You can download them also if you want to read them and try them offline. The link to the guides is: http://sylvain.heliohost.org/creations/futurepinball/guides.html

Thanks for the ebooks, very extensive and informative. Although, I think creating one complete table from scratch by myself is a bit over my head right now. Just looking at some scripts made me realize that I should leave the table making to you guys. I still want to learn a few tricks and understand FP at the basic level just to fix possible bugs or tweak the tables to my liking.

20degree wrote:
I wonder how my table Faxanadu X would look like in VR??
http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-10255-faxanadu_x

That's a crazy looking table eheh, nicely done man. Yes, the hud elements don't really work in vr and you have to hide them away from view, that's not a problem with yours though because while playing we can still rely on the backglass for the information like a real pinball machine. I highly recommend everyone to at least try vr if you can, it's an awesome experience and works amazingly well with Future Pinball, in fact I knew about FP thru this reddit post on HTC Vive's subreddit. I also tried playing VPX in 3D stereoscopic mode side-by-side with Bigscreen Beta but since you lose the headtracking of a proper vr implementation the experience was not as satisfactory, not even remotely. And that's a shame because I quite like VP's physics.

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help