Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Convert HudDMD into DispDMD
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 am 

Hi guys, new future pinball player here and i must say i'm having a blast with this thing. I'm playing with an htc vive and the immersion is great.

However, i'm having a bit of an issue with this Tales of the Arabian Nights table. This table's DMD is an hud dmd, there is also one on the tables display but it stays blank during gameplay. The problem is that in VR the hud is attached to the headset view, meaning when you move your head it moves with you like some Robocop x-ray goggles or something like that ahah, this seems very cool but is very distracting, plus you can't really see it if it stays at default position for desktop gaming (just a little bit on the corner of your eye).

So my question is. Is there a way to convert the hud dmd to the disp dmd that is already there? I know how to hide the hud dmd from view by dragging it out of the Virtual Screen (HUD) area in the Translite editor, I just don't know how to make the table's one work.

Thanks for any help ;)

Post subject: Re: Convert HudDMD into DispDMD
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 am 

It is pretty easy. Open the Translite on the table's FP editor. Click on the HudDMD and either delete it or rename it. The name appears at the top of the right pane when you click on the HudDMD. Then click on the DispDMD and change the name to MyDmd. Then save changes and that is it.

There is a way to make both DMDs play at the same time but Smoke didn't set it up that way.

I take it you didn't have any problems setting up FP and BAM?

George

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 pm 

Awesome! Many thanks for the tip, just tested it and it worked fine. And here was i thinking that i needed to fiddle around in the script or something...that would be a disaster i guess ahah.

I had my fair share of crashes while setting things up and the increasing bald spot on my head is proof of that by the hairs i pulled out but i think it's stable now and can play pretty much every table i've thrown at it. I followed the tutorials from here and now i understand a bit more about the physics versions and all that, running SteamVR and FP/BAM is also kind of tricky but nothing like a few program restarts won't solve.

I don't mind not having both dmd's active, in fact would rather have the HudDMD disabled on all my tables. By the way, is there a toggle on BAM's menu to disable the hud that i'm missing, or perhaps a hotkey? Having to manually drag the dmd out of the way for every table is kind of boring.

Again thanks for the help ;)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 pm 

We are working on bundling FP and BAM together so you install both at the same time. ...So maybe it will be easier the next time you update BAM.

BAM does not have a way to disable the Hud. FP has a Hud toggle key but it has to be set up in the script and many authors of tables don't set it up. When Gimli and I modded "Creatures from the Black Lagoon", we provided a menu item that turns off the Hud that is saved so it is turned off the next time you play the table. When a table author sets up the Hud toggle key, more often than not the setting is not saved so you have to press the toggle key every time you play the table. Long story short, it is easiest to move the Hud off the table.

Some of the guys have trouble with moving the Hud to the side of the table and having it still visible. If you have trouble with this, try moving the Hud above the Translite. This should place the Hud behind the backbox. You don't want to delete the Hud (when it is functional) because it will produce an error message from the script.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm 

Oh i see, it's more complicated than i thought, you are right, it's easier to just move it off the screen and forget about it. Luckly I've been moving the hud elements above the Translite and so far had no issues doing so, thanks for the tip.

I found that the actual process of installing and setting up FP and BAM is really not that hard once you read a couple of tutorials and test things out in the editor's preferences for your system. After all this is a piece of software that by todays standards is considered old, with the latest version released almost 10 years ago, it's just mind boggling that it even runs so well in a device that, at the time this software was designed, was just a 90's bad joke (vr today is not a joke :D). I really don't mind having to play around a bit with settings to achieve this awesome experience, so huge kudos to you and all the other guys involved in the project for keeping this beauty alive.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm 

Thanks but most of the credit goes to Ravarcade. He created and updates BAM. Without BAM, we wouldn't have all the perks like VR. BAM used to be an addon that you didn't really need but now Rav has added new capabilities that the table builders are using. So you have to have BAM in order to play these new tables and that is why we are going to bundle them together.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm 

I don't really know much about the background of both the game and the addon but i can tell that BAM is really indispensable, it makes alot of things easier to use like the ingame menus and the highscore plugin for instance, it even has a new renderer with better lighting, ball trails and good stuff like that...I support the cause 100%, so good luck for the newer and improved FP/BAM package, i'm sure its not an easy task :) programming is not my strong I'm more of a graphics design kind of guy, if you guys need help on that department i'll be glad to assist

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 pm 

Cool! Graphics are a big part of FP. I'll keep you in mind.

George

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 am 

Thanks I'll gladly help out if i can.

Little offtopic, can we bypass the 800 objects limit on the editor with the latest BAM version? I noticed this limitation was raised to 3000 on 2.5 but i can't place new objects on a table i'm trying to edit. I want to add a simple background to this LotR table, i've successfully added one on another table, but with this one I got the 800 warning.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 pm 

I have heard other guys have this problem with some versions of the FP exe. Try the Zed version. I can add objects to this table with it. I discuss it on Step 17 of my guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6054

You can add a "default.xml" file if you don't want to use the Zed physics.

George

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help