Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Help for New Members / Setting Up Future Pinball
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:05 pm 

I wrote this to help folks that are new to Future Pinball although I have gotten reports that some older members learned a few things too. Most of the information here is available at different locations on the forum but this posting combines everything new members need to know to get started and will help you to avoid the pitfalls that can be frustrating. The "Basic Guide" will step you through the initial installation and set up so that you can get Future Pinball functional and able to play any table. If you are new, you will want to stop at the end of the Basic Guide and come back later when you are ready to learn more.

The "Intermediate Guide" (starting st Step 17) describes changes and enhancements that you can make to existing tables without having to delve into anything too deep. This section basically helps you to change things that you want to change or don't like on some tables.

The "Expert Guide" (starting at Step 25) has links to guides on how to build tables and other advanced topics. I have preceded some of the step numbers with the word "Hot!" if there have been a lot of questions about the topic on this forum.

If you have Future Pinball and BAM installed but are having trouble, I suggest you read these "Hot!" topics. If you have problems with the program crashing or not performing well, you should read Steps 6, 12 and 17.

When I first joined this forum, I kept reading accounts of guys working on cabinets and was not sure what they were talking about. I learned that these guys built cabinets to house 2 or more monitors that runs Future Pinball and it looks and plays much like a real pinball table. This web site shows the progress of someone building one:

https://vpcabinet.wordpress.com/

Basic Guide - Getting Future Pinball Functional

Download and Install the Program

1. The first step is to install the program. You need to download the free program from this web site:

http://www.futurepinball.com/

There are some old versions of Future Pinball still available in a few places. I have only verified that the download from this location to be the most current and correct version to install.

Hot! 2. Install the program as you would any program. The default location where the program is installed is C:\Games\Future Pinball\. Be aware that Future Pinball will not function properly if it is installed in either of the following locations:

C:\Program Files\
C:\Program Files (x86)\

You may have a desire to install Future Pinball in the same folder as your other programs and there is nothing to stop you from forcing it to install there but it just won't work properly if you do. Most of the guys install Future Pinball to the default folder. Some of the guys have more than one drive on their PC and install it there. The program should function properly as long as you avoid installing it to either of the above two folders.

Setting Up The Future Pinball Shortcut

Hot! 3. After the program is installed, right click on the Future Pinball shortcut, select "Properties" and click on the "Compatibility" tab. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, add a check mark to the option, "Run this program in compatibility mode for". Then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" from the pull down list. Then put a check mark in "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Put a check mark in the option for "Run this program as an administrator". The other options may be left unchecked. On Windows 8 and 10, most (but not all) of the guys use "Run this program as an administrator". Some need to use "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in order to make tables look sharper. In some cases, tables may not look correct at all if "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" is left unchecked especially if you rotate the display on your monitor. Note that if you place a check mark in the option for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", all of the icons on the main screen of the Future Pinball editor will become smaller than if the option is unchecked. Also if you check this option and use a high resolution monitor, the script may not show the left most portion of the line numbers. When the script is open, you can hold the "Ctrl" key down and then move your mouse wheel. You can reduce the size of the font and then be able to read the line numbers although this may make the font too small for you to read.

After you have the shortcut set up, double click it to open Future Pinball and then close it. Open Windows Explorer or any file manager and then open the following folder:

C:\Games\Future Pinball\

Right click on the file "Future Pinball.exe" and select "Properties" and click on the "Compatibility" tab. The data from the shortcut should have transferred to "Future Pinball.exe" when you opened Future Pinball. Verify the data is the same as what you entered for the shortcut.

Download and Setup of Tables

4. You can download some tables but you will need to install BAM in order to play all the tables that are available. At this point, avoid downloading any tables that are identified as using Physics 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, Custom Physics and ZedPinball. The short story of what these are is that some of the guys on the forum decided to improve the physics of the ball. Physics refers to how the ball responds to being launched by the plunger, hit by the flippers and hitting objects on the table. At one time, each version of physics had its own executable file that you had to run in order to play the table. BAM offers a better method of managing the different versions of physics. If you don't use the correct version of physics with a table, the most common problem is that the plunger won't launch the ball. The ball will partially go up the lane where you launch the ball and then roll back down to the plunger so you can't play the table at all. Anyway until you install BAM, you can play tables that are identified as Physics 1.0. Many of the old tables have no reference to physics or Zed at all which are playable as Physics 1.0. You can search for tables that meet this criteria on the following web site (you will need a free user ID and password):

http://www.pinsimdb.org

I have a few favorite tables listed below that are Physics 1.0 that you will be able to play before installing BAM. Note that the name of the table is clickable and will bring you to the web page where you can download the table.

Bond 50 (Anniversary Edition) 1.0 – This is an older table that I like.
TutenKham 1.0 – This is a rather exotic table that is really fun. It has a trick that if you hold both flippers down as a ball drains, it will kick the ball back out instead of loosing it.
Sci-Fi Classic 1.1 - This is the first original playable Demo table. It is still pretty good. It downloads as a zipped *.exe file where the default installation is to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Future Pinball. You will need to change the install to C:\Games\Future Pinball\.
Cadash Fantasy Pinball 1.1 – Wild built this table not long ago and I tested for him. It is based on a video game. He has a sound track from the video game and a different rock sound track that you access by pressing special key 2.
The Shadow 1.0 – This is actually a ZedPinball table that I said you can't use yet. The Zed version was created by Skinooe who posted on the "Info" tab on the web page that the table is also playable with FP 1.0. I personally prefer playing it with 1.0. Skinooe also made some changes to the table that make it play better than the original version. You may want to save the *.zip files included in the download so you can try them when you install BAM later.

5. It would probably be best to start your downloads with the first two on the list above ("Bond 50" and "TutenKham") because the unzipped download file only contains a single *.fpt file. You simply move this file to the C:\Games\Future Pinball\Tables folder. In addition to the *.fpt table file, the other table downloads come with library or *.fpl files. These *.fpl files should be placed in the C:\ Games\Future Pinball\Libraries folder. The library files will function properly if you save them to the "Tables" folder but they tend to add to the clutter in this folder especially if you download a lot of tables. You may have noticed that if you installed the "Sci-Fi Classic" table, the *.exe file saved the library files to the "Tables" folder. You can move these two *.fpl files to the "Libraries" folder if desired. The "Sci-Fi Classic" table is the only table I have ever seen that downloads as an *.exe file. All the other downloads have the previously discussed file types. Some table downloads include images and other files that are for information purposes and are not required for the table to function properly. If you are curious, some downloads contain images that can be added to graphical front end loading programs such as PinballX or HyperPin but you won't need them unless you are performing a cabinet install.

You can rename the *.fpt files. I usually rename table file names so they are the same as the name that is displayed on the web page where I downloaded it (which will include the version number). That way I can easily go back to the web page where I downloaded the table for reference and also determine if a new version has been posted. Do not rename the *.fpl library files. When you open a table, the table file searches for specific library file names so you don't want to rename them. If you are missing a library file when you attempt to open a table, you will get an error message listing the specific name of the library file that is missing as you open the Future Pinball program.

There is also an fpRAM subfolder in your Future Pinball folder which has *.fpRAM files. This folder will be empty until you open your first table. The *.fpRAM files are automatically saved from tables and contain the high scores where you enter your initials. The *.fpRAM file names will have the exact same name as the table. If you rename a table that you have played before, you will need to rename the *.fpRAM file with the same name as the table if you want to keep your high scores. If you open a table and click on the "Table" pull down menu and select "Table Info", you will notice that there are some "High Score Defaults" that the author may have entered. These are saved to the *.fpRAM file for the table when you play a table for the first time and they will appear as high scores. Personally, I prefer to enter my own high scores so I always delete these before I play a new table. There is also a button on this screen called "Reset fpRam File to Default". All it actually does is deletes the *.fpRAM file and then the table will create a new *.fpRAM file the next time you play the table.

Setting Up Future Pinball Options and How to Play

Hot! 6. Before you play a table, open the Future Pinball program. The first screen that you will see is the Future Pinball editor. Click on "Preferences" menu item in the editor and select "Editor Options". Uncheck all options on this screen, especially the option "Load Image into Table Editor". If you don't do this, you may have problems with Future Pinball crashing or the table may open with a solid silver or black top. The options on this screen would only be useful to someone who creates tables so you don't need to know what they are. The Future Pinball default install does however have some of these items checked so you will need to uncheck them.

7. You will need to read parts of the Future Pinball manual. The manual is available if you click on the "Help" pull down menu and selecting "Open Manual". There is also a *.pdf version of the same manual at the following web link which might be helpful if you happen to have a tablet that you can use to view the *.pdf file when you have Future Pinball open on your PC:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinres/entry-21 ... all_manual

You should read the sections "Welcome", "Editor Overview" and "Playing a Table" of the Help or the first 20 pages of the *.pdf version. This part of the manual contains the basic information that you need to play the game like how to launch the ball etc. Don't be alarmed when you see the *.pdf version of the manual has 483 pages in it. You will only need to read 34 pages. The manual includes some discussion of a table launcher that I personally never use. It is slow to open if you have a large number of tables and contains little more information than the file name. I find it is better to use the "File" > "Open" command to open tables until you install a launcher (discussed later).

8. The next section of the manual that you should read is about the "Video / Rendering Options" screen. Double click on "Preferences" in the Help and read the "Video and Rendering Options" section or read pages 157-165 of the *.pdf manual. This entire section is all about this one screen in Future Pinball. I have posted a screen shot of the settings that I use below. These settings provide the best quality display that is possible although the settings are also the most demanding on your system. I suggest you start here though you may need to make some adjustments when you get to Step 12. You may note that I do not have a second monitor so the first item under "Screen Resolution" is grayed out. The manual includes information on how to set up a second monitor to display the backboard of the pinball table. The native resolution of my monitor is 2560 x 1440 so I set the resolution on this screen to match it. You need to check "Full Screen" first before you adjust the screen resolution. The easiest way to determine the native resolution of your monitor is to open the Windows "Control Panel" and open "Display" and then open the resolution option. The native resolution of your monitor will normally have "(Recommended)" listed beside it.
You can see that I checked "Vertical Sync" in the above screen shot. Checking this option can be a mixed blessing. If you leave it unchecked like many of the guys on the forum do, you will usually obtain a much higher frame rate (Note that I discuss stuttering on step 12). On the other hand, having it unchecked can cause problems. On the table "Star Trek, the Next Generation", I have a problem with the ball dropping through the playfield like it wasn't there unless I have "Vertical Sync" checked. Unfortunately, having this option checked makes your frame rate drop to 60 frames per second (FPS). I leave the option checked because 60 FPS looks OK to me. You can see the frame rate in Future Pinball by pressing F9 while playing a game. (I'll have you playing a game soon in Step 11).

Notice that I have "Anisotropic Filtering" unchecked. The manual says that this option can improve the visual quality. I've tried it but found no improvement on my PC so I unchecked it to save on resources. You might want to try checking it to see if you get any improvement.

Hot! 9. There are some problems that are the result of having the wrong settings on the "Video / Rendering Options" screen:
a. Not often but occasionally some of the guys have a problem with the screen flickering and sometimes it makes a noise. This is solved by adding a check mark to the option for "Vertical Sync".
b. Occasionally some of the guys on the forum have a problem with the display of the room (the area around the pinball table that you are playing). The problem is that some of the pinball tables in the room cut through some of the objects in the room. This is caused by a default game room that is generated by Future Pinball over lays on top of the room created by the author of the table. The solution is to uncheck the option "Render the Game Room" which turns off the default game room. I have found most authors of tables usually create a game room so it is best to leave this option unchecked.
c. Most of the guys prefer having the Dot Matrix Display (DMD) a yellowish orange color. If you place a check on "Disable GLSL Shaders", the DMD will turn white. This option should be unchecked for most users but it is provided for compatibility for video cards that are +10 years old.

10. The only other section of the manual that may be of interest to you but only if you want to change the default keys that are used to play the game. This is the "Game Keys and Controls" section which is also listed in "Preferences" of the Help or pages 152-156 of the *.pdf version. The rest of the manual basically describes how to create a table which you don't need to know at this point.

Play a Table!

Hot! 11. OK. You can now finally play a table! Have some fun! Be aware that Future Pinball has a memory leak. You will have problems unless you completely close Future Pinball and restart it after running every table. There are some launchers that do this for you. There are the "PinballX" or "HyperPin" launchers that are normally used if you have a pinball cabinet. Performing Step 18 will also solve the memory leak problem if you don't have a cabinet.

What to Do if You Encounter Problems Playing a Table

Hot! 12. You may encounter jerky ball movement that is called stuttering and is caused by low frame rate. This can be fixed by making some changes to the settings of your video card that are described at the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6201

If you have a low end PC or low end video card, you may have problems with Future Pinball crashing or not performing well. Ravarcade says to try these things:

• Your antivirus program can have a huge impact on Future Pinballs script performance. You may try to disable it. Remember that Window 10 has "Windows Defender" installed and has real time protection that you can turn off temporarily. What can happen is the script may execute something that the antivirus considers to be a potential threat so it scans it which requires CPU power.

• You can change the lighting model in BAM. On most graphics cards "FP Original" is faster than "New Renderer" althouigh on some notebooks "New Renderer" is faster. You should try both.

• On your computer, make sure you have set the profile to "maximun performance" in the power manager.

• Anything that can use your graphics card can decrease game performance. This would include anything in your web-browser. Close all browsers when you play Future Pinball.

There are more things to try. It is probably best to try the settings I posted on Step 8 but I have read comments that it is then best to set all the "Video / Rendering Options" screen options to their least demanding settings except for "Model Quality" which always needs to be set to "High". Then change each setting one at a time to the maximum performance and play a table after you change each setting. The culprit is often one setting but don't stop testing each setting until you have tried them all. Then when you have tried all the settings go back and adjust the culprit(s). I am not sure this list is in the best order but these are the things you can try:
a. Try Bilinear Texture Filtering instead of Trilinear. I have found there is very little penalty for making this change and you will probably have tables load faster.
b. Uncheck "High Quality Textures".
c. Try 16bpp instead of 32bpp.
d. There are some Presets at the bottom of the screen that change the Rendering Options . When I set this screen up for the first time, I clicked on "Maximum" but then unchecked "Render the Game Room" which is automatically checked. Try clicking on the "Medium" or "Minimum" options but after you do this be sure to change "Model Quality" back to "High" and uncheck "Render the Game Room". It may seem counter intuitive but some of the guys have had problems loading tables because "Model Quality" was not set to "High" even on lower end PCs.
e. Place a check on "Disable GLSL Shaders" if you have an old video card. Although the DMD will turn white, having this item checked will make Future Pinball use an older version of OpenGL that is compatible with older hardware.
f. Also if you have an old video card like S3 Virge or Voodoo 1, try unchecking "Enable Non-Power of 2 Textures".
g. Try reducing the number of "Hardware Lights to Use".
h. Uncheck "Flares on Flashers".
i. Uncheck "Flares on Playfield Lights".
j. Try adding a check mark to "Use Texture Compression (S3TC)".
k. Try to find low-quality versions of tables if available. Quite a few tables have two library files of textures, one being of high quality and the other being low quality. Use the version that has low quality. If a table does not have an option for low quality textures, you can create your own. You can export the images for the playfield and plastics and make them smaller, using the resize option on any image editor. Then you can reimport the images. Step 22 provides guidance on how to do this in my explanation of "Day" and "Night" tables. When you resize the images, you need to use a power of 2. This is an excerpt from the Future Pinball manual:

"It is important to note that ALL textures should have dimensions which are a power of two (i.e., 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096) for both the Width and the Height of the texture (though they don't necessary have to be the same). This is a limitation with the video card and not Future Pinball. If the Texture you wish to add to the table is not of a power of two, then the Future Pinball will automatically re-scale the image to its nearest power of 2 dimension when the game is run, so it is best to ensure that all textures follow these rules as it makes the loading of textures into the video card much faster if it doesn't have to rescale the image first."

Install Better Arcade Mode (BAM)

13. After you play a few tables, you will want to install Better Arcade Mode (also called BAM) so that you can play the tables I told you to avoid downloading in Step 4. BAM manages physics and allows you to be able to play Zed and Custom physics tables. Be sure to read what the post says about physics carefully. Instructions on how to install BAM are here:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=5544

14. There is more information about physics here:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=4373

15. There is some basic information about Future Pinball here.

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=4300

Where to Download Tables

16. The first resource you might want to check out is my list of best tables (see link below). I provided links to where I downloaded the tables. I also describe the changes I have made to them to solve problems I encountered. Some of the techniques I use are described in Step 19.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6176

There are three web sites that I know about where you can download Future Pinball tables for free:

This is the primary download location and there is a link to it at the top of every web page in this forum. It does require that you create a free user ID and password before you can use it:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/

Russell Speaks has a web site who is a member of this forum and goes by the handle Slamt1lt. He introduced a new version of physics that he calls version 2.7. It is different from Physics 2.7 as identified on pinsimdb.org. The pinsimdb.org version of 2.7 is more like custom physics because the physics settings are different for each table and each download of a table has an accompanying file that contains the physics. Russell's new web site uses the same physics that he applies to all his new tables. His new web site is:

http://speak1970.wix.com/slamspinballemporium

His help page has his new version of physics posted there but it downloads into a Word document file. It would probably be easier to get his Physics 2.7 version right here. You can just copy and paste the following code into a Notepad file and save it as a file with an XML extension. Every version of Windows has Notepad so you should have it. You may want to save it to C:\Games\Future Pinball\BAM\XML with the file name fp-p2.7.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<document>

<!-- Physics processing -->
  <!-- Physics 2.7 Note. Changing the FPS will effect how how all the other values interact with each other and should
  be a high value due to the fact the ball in a pinball is moving very fast and lower values will cause the ball
  to go into objects fractionally (thus we must sample at a higher rate)

threaded (true/false) defines if the physics runs in a separate thread for multicore CPU's (dev version only)
  -->
  <physics fps="296" threaded="0"></physics>

<!-- Settings for various objects -->
  <ball mass="35" gravity="5200.0" damping="0.66"></ball>

<!-- moeMethod="0" Auto-calculate the moments of Inertia for the flipper using internal Newton functions -->
  <!-- moeMethod="1" Calculate the Flipper MOE based on a rectangle (changes aiming behaivour) -->
  <!-- Note: omega is rotational force -->
  <flipper mass="15000.0" omega="50.0" moeMethod="0"
           leftXoff="0" leftYoff="1500" leftZoff="0"
           rightXoff="0" rightYoff="1500" rightZoff="0"></flipper>

<!-- impluse            The amount of power applied to the ball (normal setting)..
                          this is then scalled up or down to suit the strength setting
       impulseRandomness  Random Percentage (of impulse) added to impulse when the ball hits the object
       vectorRandomness   Random Angle change +/- value to ball direction
  -->
  <bumper    impulse="85.0" impulseRandomness="0" vectorRandomness="6"></bumper>
  <autoplunger mass="25000.0" force="60000.0"></autoplunger>
  <diverter    mass="10000.0" omega="33.0"></diverter>
  <gate    mass="2.0" gravity="4500.0" damping="0.25"></gate>
  <kicker    impulse="950.0" vukImpulse="1500.0" impulseRandomness="4" vectorRandomness="1"></kicker>
  <plunger    mass="20000.0" force="45000.0"></plunger>
  <slingshot    impulse="600.0" impulseRandomness="20" vectorRandomness="5"></slingshot>
  <spindisk    mass="10000.0" angularDamp="0.33" linearDamp="0.25"></spindisk>

<!--
  <spinner    mass="100000.0" gravity="100000" angularDamp="0.5" angularAccel="5.25"
              spinDampLoose="0.22" spinBackLoose="1.8"
              spinDampNorm="0.325" spinBackNorm="2.7"
              spinDampTight="0.575" spinBackTight="3.2"></spinner>
  -->
  <spinner    mass="45.0" gravity="100.0" angularDamp="0.5" angularAccel="5.0"
              spinDampLoose="0.325" spinBackLoose="2.850"
              spinDampNorm="0.575"  spinBackNorm="3.250"
              spinDampTight="0.750" spinBackTight="3.500"></spinner>
  <emkicker    mass="99999.0" omega="80.0"></emkicker>
  <varitarget mass="100.0" damping="0.5" tension="3.0" return="15.0"></varitarget>
  <magnet    impulse="10.0" impulseRandomness="2"></magnet>

<!-- Nugde Settings -->
  <nudge impulse="120.0" impulseRandomness="25.0" warningLevel="180" leftAngle="65" upAngle="0.0" rightAngle="295"
         vectorRandomness="4" visualDistance="2" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="1000.0"></nudge>

<!-- Materials Settings -->

<!-- Static coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -
       Static friction is the force that holds back a stationary object up to the point that it
       just starts moving. Thus, the static coefficient of friction concerns the force restricting
       the movement of an object that is stationary on a relatively smooth, hard surface.

Kinetic coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -
       Once you overcome static friction, kinetic friction is the force holding back regular motion.
       This, kinetic fiction coefficient of friction concerns the force restricting the movement of
       an object that is sliding on a relatively smooth, hard surface.

Both coefficients are based on material pairs (ie wood on wood, metal on wood) etc..

In FP all the settings are for Ball on Wood/Plastic/Rubber/Metal etc..

and from the Newton docs..
       staticFriction and kineticFriction must be positive values. kineticFriction must be lower or equal than
       staticFriction. It is recommended that staticFriction and kineticFriction be set to a value
       lower or equal to 1.0, however because some syntetic materials can have higher than one coeficient
       of friction Newton allows for the coeficient of friction to be as high as 2.0.

For more information refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction
  -->

<!-- Default Materal Settings to act as defaults incase we forget to set an object during development. 
       There shouldn't be any objects set to this material so these are just a fail safe values -->
  <defaultMat softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></defaultMat>

<!-- Material Settings for surfaces marked as playfields -->
  <playfieldMat    softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></playfieldMat>

<!-- Primary Material Types -->
  <metalMat       softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.20" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></metalMat>
  <plasticMat    softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.30" staticFriction="0.05" kineticFriction="0.04"></plasticMat>
  <woodMat       softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.35" staticFriction="0.07" kineticFriction="0.06"></woodMat>
  <rubberHardMat    softnessCoef="0.10" elasticCoef="0.65" staticFriction="0.20" kineticFriction="0.15"></rubberHardMat>
  <rubberIntMat    softnessCoef="0.15" elasticCoef="0.70" staticFriction="0.25" kineticFriction="0.20"></rubberIntMat>
  <rubberSoftMat    softnessCoef="0.20" elasticCoef="0.75" staticFriction="0.30" kineticFriction="0.25"></rubberSoftMat>

<!-- Object Specific Material Settings -->
  <gateMat       softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.60" staticFriction="0.00001" kineticFriction="0.00001"></gateMat>
  <kickerMat       softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.05" staticFriction="0.80" kineticFriction="0.80"></kickerMat>
  <rampMat       softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.01" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></rampMat>
  <plungerMat    softnessCoef="0.04" elasticCoef="0.40" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></plungerMat>
  <spindiskMat    softnessCoef="0.05" elasticCoef="0.50" staticFriction="1.50" kineticFriction="2.00"></spindiskMat>

</document>

I didn't know the following web site existed until Miownkhan told me about it. It does have some Future Pinball tables that you can download:

http://www.irpinball.org/

IRPinball is primarily dedicated to the older style electromagnetic (EM) pinball tables. Note that later tables are solid state controlled which are often equipped with Dot Matrix Displays (DMDs).

This is all that a beginner needs to know. You can read the more advanced guides below later. If you haven't installed BAM yet from Step 13, you need to install it now.

Intermediate Guide - Enhancements to Future Pinball

The "ZedPinball Mod" FP Executable

Hot! 17. Some of the guys still have problems with Future Pinball crashing occasionally or not perform well even after performing Step 6 and they do not have a low end PC (reference Step 12). The 64 bit version allows more memory to be used by your system than the 32 bit version so it will crash less often. The "ZedPinball Mod" also has the advantage of not having a FP watermark or splash on the table loading screen. If you have a 64 bit system, I highly recommend using the 64 bit version of the "ZedPinball Mod". The download has many files in it although most are the same files that come from the Future Pinball installation. The following files are the only files in the download that you do not already have:

Future Pinball x32 1.1.exe
Future Pinball Zed x64 1.1.exe
opengl32.dll
QeffectsGL.ini

I and others have found that using the opengl32.dll file makes Future Pinball crash. According to Zedonius himself, if you don't use the opengl32.dll file, then the QeffectsGL.ini doesn't do anything. I don't use either of these files. The only file in the download I use is "Future Pinball Zed x64 1.1.exe". I renamed it as "Future Pinball.exe" and replaced the existing "Future Pinball.exe" file in the C:\Games\Future Pinball\ folder. There is a "ZedPinball Mod" topic on the main page of this forum that has more information although you can download Zedonius 1.1 from the following link:

https://mega.nz/#!XcYQET7K!EPm56hpPFvpd ... a2IBMwShRI

Create Shortcuts to Tables

18. If you do not have a pinball cabinet, you may want to create shortcuts to individual tables and play them without going through the Future Pinball editor. This also provides a method of fixing the memory leak described in Step 11. These directions show you how to do that and it also adds right click context menu options:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5653

Simple Script Changes

19a. I have tried to change the "Balls Per Game" on the "Table Info" screen which is a submenu item of the "Table" menu. I have never had any luck of it actually changing the number of balls in a game. To change the balls per game, you need to change something in the script. To open the script editor, you can click on the fourth icon on the left column of buttons or click on the "Edit" menu item and then click on "Script". You can then click on the "Edit" menu item and then click on "Find" and search for "nvBallsPerGame =" until you find the following:

nvBallsPerGame = 3

Then you just change the 3 to a 5 (or the number of balls that you wish).

Some of the older tables unfortunately do not have this script and rely on the default number of balls per game which is 3. On these older tables, you can usually add "nvBallsPerGame = 5" below the line that says "FuturePinball_BeginPlay()" and it will usually work. In some cases however you may get an error changing the balls per game, because the DMD may be configured to have only 3 balls, or the script base may not depend on nvBallsPerGame. If this is the case, there is not an easy answer. If this does not work, you can post a question on the forum like I did.

b. Another easy change is you can change the line in the script that begins with "Const constBallSaverTime" in order to give yourself more time to get a free ball if you loose it quickly. The time is listed in milliseconds so one second = 1000.

c. Some tables have script for "MusicVolume" and "SoundVolume" where you can adjust volume of the music and game sounds played during a game. You should however only use this option if the volume of music vs. game sounds in out of adjustment for the specific table you are adjusting. If all your tables have the volume of music vs. game sounds out of adjustment, then you should follow the directions in the manual for adjusting these sounds. The manual says, "If the sounds are too loud or too soft then you can adjust it via the Home (turn volume up) and the End (turn volume down) keys on your keyboard. If the music (if any) is too loud or too soft then you can adjust it via the Page Up (turn volume up) and the Page Down (turn volume down) keys on your keyboard."

d. Occasionally a table will be great except if it has an obnoxious sound that you don't like. If this happens, you need to click on the "Table" menu and select "Sound Manager" and play each sound until you find the one that you don't like. Then you click on "Rename" and then hold down the "Ctrl" key and type "C" to copy the name to the clipboard and then close the sound manager. Then you can search the script for the sound name and change it to something else, possibly another sound in the "Sound Manager". Or you can inactivate it with an apostrophe before the line of code that precedes it. The sound may be referenced in the script more than once so you will want to change all occurrences. If you can't find the sound in the "Sound Manager", try the "Music Manager" on the same menu.

e. Sometimes the volume of a sound or music is too loud. You find the sound using the above method and then search for the sound or music in the script. You will usually find something like one off these:

playmusic 3,"fx_m_alienm",TRUE,0.3
playsound "s_acelerada",0.3

The 0.3 is the volume of the sound. You can change it to be a value between 0 and 1.0. In some cases, the playmusic line will end in TRUE or FALSE or the playsound line may end with the name of the sound, in that case just add a comma and the number.

About LEDWiz

20. As you use the pinsimdb.org web site, you may encounter references to LEDWiz. Tables identified as such, have script that operates special lights on some cabinet installs of Future Pinball. You may find that that the LEDWiz version of a table has features that you want and can't find anywhere else. There is no cause for concern. You can install a LEDWiz version of a table on any standard PC that is not equipped with the lights and it will play normally without producing any error messages. The only requirement in order to play a LEDWiz table is to be sure to add the following two files to your Future Pinball "Tables" folder (they won't work in the "Libraries' folder):

LedWIZ_Class.vbs
LEDWiz_settings.ini

Both of these files are usually included in the download of a LEDWiz table. If you want to know more about LEDWiz, there is a tutorial at the following link:

http://shaunroot.net/pinball/LEDWiz/rea ... anual.html

I've notice that the LEDWiz site goes down sometimes. If it is down, you can download the same content at the following site:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinres/entry-16 ... d_tutorial

Make Tables Lighter or Darker

21. If you want to make a table lighter or darker, there are two options plus a third option in Step 22 below:

a) There is an option on the "Lights" screen in BAM. It doesn't matter whether you have Forced Arcade Mode turned on or off. It is always there. You will see an option called "Lights" on the main menu or one named "Table and Lighting" then "Lights" under that menu. The option to make the table lighter or darker is available under the option called "Presets". If you have never changed it, the option will probably say "default" but you can down arrow to the option and use the right arrow button to open "Day", then "Bright Day", then "Night" and finally "Dark Night". These options are intended to change the brightness of the table so you can display the table with a brighter screen during the day and a darker one at night. This option appears to work nicely when you are changing a Day or bright table into a Night table. It is not so hot when trying to change a dark table into a "Day" or brighter table.

b) There is an option in Future Pinball that many of the table authors use to make a table darker. It is called "Playfield Color" that is on the right side of the screen when you first open the editor without clicking on anything on the table. Table authors often set this to a shade of gray to make the table darker. When you click on this option, a color palette opens and you should click on the button to "Add to custom colors" so you can revert back to the original color if desired. Then you can move the slider on the right up or down to make the table lighter or darker. You would probably be better off starting here to make a table brighter and then adjust the BAM lighting settings.

22. Even after making the adjustments from Step 21, I still sometimes have difficulty with parts of tables being too dark to suit me. You can make the entire table lighter but then the lightest parts of the table are too light. I have discovered the way that table builders create "Day" and "Night" versions of tables. The "Day" versions of the tables are brighter than the "Night" versions. They basically create 2 versions of the playfield image that is saved to the texture manager in Future Pinball. Then they save two versions of the entire table where the only difference is the playfield image. Some builders create "Day" and "Night" versions of the plastics also although not very often. Still fewer change the "Playfield Color" of the "Night" version of the table so it is darker than the "Day" version. Sometimes, there seems to be a tendency to only use the "Night" version even when a "Day" version of the images has been saved to the Texture Manager although there is nothing in the notes about the table to tell you that alternate versions exist. "Apollo 13", "Batman Joker", "Bond 50" and "Elvis" all have alternate version of the playfield that are available in Future Pinball's texture manager. The Data East version of "Back to the Future" has an alternate version of the playfield that I like better although it is not any lighter than the default. Other tables may have alternate playfields and plastics as well. If you are interested in seeing if alternate versions of the playfield or plastics exist or editing their images, perform the following steps:

a) You can identify the name of the of the playfield texture by opening the Future Pinball editor. Do not click on anything on the table and look at "Playfield Image" in the right pane. There are a few tables that use several images on the playfield and this field may be blank.
b) If you want to be able to see the images in the editor, you need to place a check mark on one of the options in Step 4 that I told you to uncheck. Open the Future Pinball editor and click on the "Preferences" menu item in the editor, select "Editor Options" and check the option "Load Image into Table Editor". Then you need to close the Future Pinball editor and reopen it which will then load images into the editor.
c) Click on the "Table" pull down menu item and select "Texture Manager". Then you can click on the first item in the "Texture List" and use your arrow down key to browse through the images on the table. You can look through the list and may find a playfield image that has a different file name from what you saw in the "Playfield Image" field of the editor. You can change the playfield image by going back to the editor and clicking on the pull down beside the "Playfield Image" field and select the image that you want there. If you don't see an alternate image in the list, you can export the image and edit it and then import it again using the "Export" and "Import" buttons.
d) Plastics often have the same shape as the playfield but display the tops of the apron, slingshots and other objects on the table although they can also be individual images. To see the name of the name of the plastics image, you can click on the apron or other object on the table and look at the "Top Texture" field in the right pane. To change the plastics image, you can either go to each object on the table and make a change to the "Top Texture" field or it may be easier to delete or rename the existing image in the "Texture Manager" and rename the image you want to use with old name.
e) When finished, be sure to go back and uncheck "Load Image into Table Editor" on the "Editor Options" or you will probably have problems playing your next table.

Custom Balls

23. Miownkhan created some custom balls that you can add to any table. If you have the "World Cup Soccer 94" table, you need to try his soccer ball. The colors on the ball match the table perfectly. You can download his custom balls from the link below. The first posting on the thread has Miownkhan's custom balls that you can download. The second posting on the thread has directions on how to install and create custom balls.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=5583

Rotate Your Monitor 90 Degrees

24. If do not you have a pinball cabinet and you can rotate your monitor 90 degrees, you may want to follow these directions on how to rotate the display on your Future Pinball screen so you can use 80 to 90% of the available screen space on your monitor:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5451

I have posted a table, "Jupiter 1.0", on Pinsimdb.com that has directions and configuration files that will make this change easier to implement. The directions in the download include instructions on how to apply the configuration to other tables. The link above may still provide supplemental information:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-23461-jupiter

Expert Guide - Advanced Topics

25. Most of the guys tend to associate BAM with physics but it does a whole lot more. You can set up just about any view of a table that you can possibly want. It has numerous table lighting options. There is even a way of setting up 3D glasses. Of course, there is the "BAM Corner" option on the home page of this forum where you can get more information. Ravarcade wrote the program and he has the following web site:

http://ravarcade.pl/

26. Gin suggested I write a guide for creating custom physics. As far as I know, there is no guide for doing this but I can relate my experience so far. I usually start by deciding there is something I don't like about the physics of a table. If I plan to make some minor changes, I usually start with the physics that is recommended for the table and edit the XML file. If the change I want to make is significantly different from the way the table currently plays, I create my own custom physics. I started creating custom physics by trying various XML files until I found one that has general characteristics that I like. I finally ended up with an XML that I always start with now. It is the same one that I created for the Oblivion table that you can get here:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... om_physics

XML files can be easily edited by opening them with Notepad. I usually only change the parameters for ball mass, ball gravity and ball damping. This portion of the XML file looks like this:

Code:
  <!-- Settings for various objects -->
  <ball mass="35" gravity="5200.0" damping="0.66"></ball>

You can change the numeric part of this line with Notepad. Basically, the higher the number that you enter for all three parameters, the faster the ball plays. The three parameters are interactive so it takes some experimenting to get it right. I usually start with gravity and either increase the number to make the ball play hotter or decrease it to make it play slower. Then I play the table to see how I like the change. You may want to change the table slope that is in the *.fpt file which affects the physics also. When I get the changes to the ball park of the characteristics that I want, then I move on to ball mass and then damping. As I test the changes, I make more incremental changes of all three parameters until I get what I want. If you make significant changes to the physics, you are most likely going to need to change the strength setting in the *.fpt file of the flippers, the plunger that launches the ball, bumpers, the rubbers that are usually on each side of the table above the flippers but might be anywhere—basically anything on the table that has a strength setting. You may not need to change these things if you are only making a minor change to the physics. When you change the strength of the flippers, you need be sure the ball will go up the ramps on the table. When you find a setting where the ball will just barely go up the ramp and not come back down, you should adjust the strength one tick higher. The player needs some margin to have better control over the ball. The strength settings for the flippers are rather course. You can finely adjust the parameters for flipper mass and possibly Omega in the XML file. The settings for the flippers in the XML file are shown below:

Code:
  <!-- Note: omega is rotational force -->
  <flipper mass="15000.0" omega="50.0" moeMethod="0"

After you make the changes, you should test the ramps to be sure the ball travels up them smoothly. This is basically it. It just involves making changes, testing them, making changes and testing again until you get the characteristics you want.

27. DOFLinx is a program that allows you to have special lighting effects on Future Pinball tables. It functions similarly to LEDWiz that I mentioned on Step 20. Unfortunately, it will only work if you have special LED lights and other equipment that most folks only install on a pinball cabinet. TerryRed wrote an article on how to it set up on the second posting on the following thread. The first posting on the thread has link to a video that provides a demo of the "Aliens Legacy" table:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6265

TerryRed also created some video tutorials of how to set up a table with DOFLinx that are available here:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6284

28. If you want to build a table but haven't developed many skills yet especially with scripting, this future pinball template will help:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... te_starter

29. If you want to start creating tables, 20degree has created the definitive tutorial. The files for it and quite a bit of other information is available here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4924

If you would like to download all 6 volumes of the tutorial, you can download them from here:

Volume 1 (37 pages):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B60m6W ... sp=sharing
Volume 2 (29 pages):
Volume 3 (28 pages):
Volume 4 (23 pages):
Volume 5 (53 pages):
Volume 6 (50 pages):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B60m6W ... RlX1k/view

Gimli has also created three tutorials for DMDs that are available here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5050
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5186
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5147

Wecoc provided a scripting guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5458

Another script guide can be found here:

http://www.vpforums.org/Tutorials/FPGui ... _guide.htm

A table design guide can be found here:

http://www.vpforums.org/Tutorials/FPGui ... _guide.htm

Wecoc provided two tutorials for script of multi-color lights here:

http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopi ... =55&t=5325
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5460

Wecoc provided an LED flippers demo here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5408

GFX2DMD is a tool that allows you to convert pack of images into DMD font files for your Future Pinball table. Pinballfun4uz provides a guide on how to use it here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5410

Pinballfun4uz's guide provides a link to download the program although it doesn't work anymore. You can get a copy of it here:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinres/entry-211-gfx2dmdf

30. This tutorial explains how to post a new table on pinsimdb.org. I always post a new topic on this forum under "Tables Release" before I post a table and then add a link to the forum topic when I post the table on pinsimdb.org. The "Links" section of the tutorial explains how to add the link. Also be sure to change the "Status" to "Waiting (for publish)" as described. The table will never be published if you leave the status as "Draft".

http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopi ... =72&t=2532

If you have questions or want to suggest revising this post, please post replies to this topic.

George

Last edited by GeorgeH on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 81 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Help for Newbies
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:19 am 

Hi George,

Being relatively 'New' to the Pinball / Future Pinball hobby, I believe that I had managed to find myself reading through pretty much all of the 'links' you provided; albeit over a number of weeks/months - and welcome a collective "Starting Point" for us Newbies.

However, it may be worth 'Breaking-Down' the information being presented into almost a "PC Knowledge" related area; i.e. Basic/Intermediate/Expert areas - all of which could be synonymous with... perhaps a 'Pinball Set-Up'?

Let me explain...

If a Newbie was looking to download, install and set-up Future Pinball on a "Single" screen set-up, then it could be worth providing them with the following details (all of which I know you have covered - but in a differing order / complexity and knowledge & understanding of the requirement to do so / 'jargon' etc. (with my limited knowledge of Future Pinball that is...):

BASIC; Help to download, install and set-up and start playing Pinball Tables on a Single screen set-up
1 - Download Future Pinball from here...
2 - Run the Install - allowing Future Pinball to install in the 'Default' installation path (C:/Games/Future Pinball).
3 - Change some of the 'Default' Future Pinball settings; i.e. Video Rendering Options (specifically - "Vertical Sync" and "Model Quality" to allow for maximum initial playability (including a brief overview for these settings...(?))).

So - your now comfortable with the 'Basic' running and playing of tables, time to explore the functionality further...

INTERMEDIATE; Help with Dual screen set-up, 'Physics' , B.A.M.
4 - Dual screen set-up; (PlayField and BackBox, Screen Rotation; resolutions, etc.)
5 - Introduction to Table 'Physics' (2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, Zed Pinball etc.)
6 - Introduction to B.A.M. and guidance for Set-Up(?)

EXPERT; Help with 3 screen set-up (PlayField, BackBox and Separate DMD)
7 - 3 screen set-up.
8 - LED Wiz etc.
9 - Creating 'Custom' Physics.
10+ - Lots of other things I still don't know or understand :lol:

Hopefully these are the 'thoughts / feedback you were looking for' (move a-long, move a-long :roll: ... sorry - had to be done ;) )

Gin

End of Line...

Post subject: Re: Help for Newbies
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:41 pm 

Gin,

I made the changes that you recommended. I decided to include BAM set up in the Basic section because it is needed to have FP fully functional. I wrote it however so that someone can play a few tables before BAM is installed. I figure someone new would want to play a few tables just to see if they really like FP.

Feel free to comment,

George

Post subject: Re: Help for New Members
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:15 pm 

Excellent Job, GeorgeH !

Attention: Moderators, Please make this a "Sticky" topic for future reference

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:57 am 

Sticked... And for your information, IRPinball is dedicaced (mainly) to old (EM) pinballs.

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:42 pm 

Thanks guys! I fixed a typo I found on step 8. I incorporated Popotte's comment into step 16. I also incorporated some feedback I got from Gimli into step 19c.

If anyone knows of any tutorials that would be good to add here, please let me know.

George

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:32 am 

Your explications are very nice, it's great!!. Also thank's to putting the direct links to my free 5 pdf guides, i have made so far. I think in time to create a 6th pdf guide, but oriented of how to use the software Milkshape3d. This so peoples can create there own ms3d files to put into the software FP. Also Mete Ciragan from Milkshape3d have givin me the autorizations to do printscreens of the software, so i can put some images of the soft milkshape3d to put into the pages.

But the thing is that i dont know very much about the soft Milkshape3d, i have modeled more with Softimage XSI Mod Tool v6.01. When i asked to Autodesk a writing permission to do printscreens images of the Softimage XSI Mod Tool v6.01 for respecting copyrights, they have givin me a url link to some page of terms, that have so many things to understand; that i have abandonned the project to create a book on how to model with Softimage and do some printscreens of it. I just wanted to have an e-mail with a simple "Yes" to do some printscreens of there software. At leass Mete Ciragan have been very nice, i can say that i can do printscreens of Milkshape3d.

That's why in one of my pdf guide, when i explaining things about the Softimage software, about how to model a sphere the size of the ball and others; it was by text and no printscreens of the soft to respect copyrights. I'm pretty sure that there are peoples that knows far more Milkshape3d, this beside me. Me i have Milkshape3d v1.8.2. If some one could help me advance my knowledges with this soft, please pm me. Thank's! A+

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:03 am 

I'm sorry I don't know anything about Milkshape3d. Can anyone else help 20degree?

George

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:36 am 

Thank's George for looking forward to help me! There is so many things to read, so many videos to watch. A thing that i think to put is to explain the coordinate letters (X,Y,Z).

To explain it here this, if you would have an old computer screen "not the thin ones", but the one like some cube. If the coordinate (X,Y,Z) would be (0,0,0), the center point would be in the absolute center of the old cube computer screen.

If you look at this old cube screen the coordinate (X) would be coordinations that are horizontal. The more you go to the left of the center of the cube screen, the more the value of the (X) is under (0) zero. Wich mean (-1), again more to the left and more and more, (-2), (-3), (-4); this the more you go to the left horizontaly of the middle of the 3d space.

I think you have guessed the more you go to the right of your cube screen from the middle, the more the value of (X) is rising like (X=1) more to the right and more and more (X=2), (X=3), etc etc.

The coordinations (Y) from the center of your old computer screen, the more you go to the top of your screen, the more the value of (Y) is positive; (Y=1), (Y=2), more to the top (Y=5), etc. etc.

Again when from the center of the cube screen, the more you go vertically at the bottom of the computer screen, the more the value of the (Y) is negative; (-1), (-2), (-3), etc. etc.

Now the coordinations (Z) again from the absolute center of your old computer screen, the more you go to the front "where you see your screen"; the more the value of (Z) is set positive. But from the absolute center of your computer screen the more you go at the back of your old computer screen, then the value of (Z) is more negative; (Z=-1), (Z=-2), (Z=-3), etc. etc.

Well there is so many things to learn. But you are my motivations guy's! I'm glad to help. I'm not perfect, and i try to explain things very simple. Please correct me if i'm wrong, i want to teach beginners and others correctly.

A+

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:37 pm 

That is an amazing post, well done. I have a much better understanding of FP now.

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help