Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: Revisiting ol' Popette
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 pm 

I've loved and religiously collected all of Popette's creations since the beginning; having been away for a few years now, what's the consensus on the 'best' physics / XML to use for his EMs and SS these days?

PS - I've been ramping up on VPX too, and collecting its older tables makes me appreciate Popotte's beautiful PF redraws even more.

Intel i7-6700K @4.5Ghz • AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB • 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Pro x64

Post subject: Re: Revisiting ol' Popette
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm 

Most of the guys would probably expect me to answer this even though I don't consider myself a true expert in physics. I have developed an intuition for how to adjust the parameters in the XML but as far as explaining the actual physics behind it all, I don't know it. But anyway I have long used Malifica's XML file on my tables which I have undated to a point where it doesn't resemble his file anymore. I like his objective which was to create an XML that would work on any table. He came very close. I posted what I start with here (under Malifica) :

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6173&p=80915#p80915

There is a link to a file on Media Fire that hasn't been updated in a while so just copy the code from the posting and paste it into Notepad. You should be aware I always tweak the physics a bit for each table but not a lot usually.

Then there are dynamic flippers. The omega (strength) section of the code has never changed. There are 2 versions of "Bounce Control" both of which are available on "Jaws" that Gimli and I worked on. I suggest comparing versions 1.05-2 and 1.05-2 and select the one you like best after reading the write up:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... s_ultimate

I post directions on how to copy the code from one table to the next in the script comments.

George

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:17 am 

Thanks George, very helpful. I maintain an Excel sheet w/ all the tables and their author's physics etc. (back in 2013 when I was here) so it was straightforward to create 78 Popotte xmls from Malifica (and yours). The old tables are playing as well as I hoped they would. :) Some of those EMs and SSs w/ Physics 1.0 were so slow and floaty, laugh, but we used what we had!

Do you remember the processing order that BAM uses for reading its config data? I can't recall, I think it was:
In-table script (new)
tablename.xml
tablename.zip
default.xml
?

I'm going to copy Malifica over to default.xml to catch any I missed.

Intel i7-6700K @4.5Ghz • AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB • 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Pro x64

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:02 am 

You might want to read through my BAM guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=5544

I noticed it is a little out of date in this respect because we are adding XMLs to the script now.

The priority goes like this:

1) script XML is highest priority.
2) [Table name].zip
3) [Table name].xml
4) default.xml in the BAM folder
5) internal physics of the FP.exe

You can see the XML that BAM is using at the bottom of the BAM menu on the right side.

George

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:18 am 

I forgot to mention that I usually set the table slope in the FP editor to 6.8. You can set it higher to make the table play faster or lower for slower. I usually lower the strength of the slingshots but I think that is more related to my personal preference.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:23 am 

johnhardyiv wrote:
I've loved and religiously collected all of Popette's creations since the beginning; having been away for a few years now, what's the consensus on the 'best' physics / XML to use for his EMs and SS these days?

PS - I've been ramping up on VPX too, and collecting its older tables makes me appreciate Popotte's beautiful PF redraws even more.

Thanks!

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:57 pm 

Popotte wrote:
johnhardyiv wrote:

Thanks!

You're quite welcome. :) I know in the past you were somewhat ambivalent about tailoring your tables w/ the new physics. Do you still feel that way or have you experimented with them or have any suggestions?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 pm 

I have to agree that Ravarcade makes an excellent work but each time I have a look to BAM, I have to read a tons of new things. So, I create table with the old FP. But if somebody want to actualize my tables, I really don't have problem with that.
In an other hand, as you see, I don't create any new table. I think I have about 10 tables to finish and about 20-30 with all pics to recreate them.
Maybe one day...

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:16 pm 

Popette,

If you want, I could create an XML and add dynamic flippers to your next table. Since EM tables don't have ramps, you could probably apply the exact same XML and dynamic flippers to all your tables as long as you set the strengths of all the table objects the same. I have found that tables that do not have ramps tend to have a much broader range of acceptable settings. Tables that have ramps usually have different slopes of ramps and you have do a lot of tweaking to get the ramps to work right.

It would at least be interesting to see if my idea works.

George

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help