Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help

Post subject: New future Pinball user... Lighting missing from centre tabe
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:03 pm 

Hello all and thank you for reading this far! :)

I have been spending all of my spare time on a build lately, my first attempt into this. I have got FP tables running, and honestly I love it so much, however there seems to be a "black area" that has no or little light on the playfield. Its kinda right in the middle of the table and is almost the entire width too. I have looked for .cfg files and through the options but I cant find out how to sort it out, has anyone come across this before? It seems to be on all tables.

Thanks for any help.
Daz

Post subject: Re: New future Pinball user... Lighting missing from centre
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:47 pm 

I'm definitely not an expert but when I worked on Swords of Fury, I noticed that there are several area lights on the left upper playfield (where the small flipper is located) that pretty much just provide area illumination. Bulb1, bulb18, bulb18 and bulb5 have a wide radius and work this way. Bulb1 is the only one that is operated by the script but it seems to be turned on most of the time. All of these bulbs are tucked up underneath some surfaces so they don't produce a lot of glare when you play the table.

When I worked on my mod of this table, this upper playfield still seemed a little dark to me so I think I increased the radius of these lights but also made the texture for the playfield a bit lighter which helped a lot.

This is where this table is posted if you want to look t it:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... om_physics

George

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:45 am 

GeorgeH wrote:
I'm definitely not an expert but when I worked on Swords of Fury, I noticed that there are several area lights on the left upper playfield (where the small flipper is located) that pretty much just provide area illumination. Bulb1, bulb18, bulb18 and bulb5 have a wide radius and work this way. Bulb1 is the only one that is operated by the script but it seems to be turned on most of the time. All of these bulbs are tucked up underneath some surfaces so they don't produce a lot of glare when you play the table.

When I worked on my mod of this table, this upper playfield still seemed a little dark to me so I think I increased the radius of these lights but also made the texture for the playfield a bit lighter which helped a lot.

This is where this table is posted if you want to look t it:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... om_physics

George

Thanks for the reply, Im not quite ready to be going too deep into table configs just yet.

I have read about adjust the angle of the room lights to help. I think my default setting is in a virtual dark room and around the flippers at the bottom of the table it is lit up really well. Almost as if there is a spot light on that area of the table. Do you know if there is a way to simply light up the table higher up? this would help my issue I believe.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm 

Ok, I thought you were creating a table.

There is an option in BAM that adds a light source from above the table. I don't care for it much myself but you might give it a try. Open the "Lights" menu in BAM. You arrow down to "Light Lock Position" and change this from "<on" to "off>". This will undim the X, Y and Z options for "Light Source Position" which you use to move the light around. The option a bit further down the menu is "Specular" adjusts how bright the light is.

Personally I prefer to change the playfield texture. You can check the table's textures and see if the author added an alternate playfield texture. To look at the textures, open the "Preferences" menu in the table editor. Click on "Editor Preferences" and the place a check mark on the option "Load Image into Table Editor" and then close Future Pinball. Then open it again and then open "Table" and then click on "Texture Manager". This will allow you to click on items in the texture list and see the texture in the preview on the left. BE SURE that you uncheck the "Load Image into Table Editor" when you are finished, otherwise you may have problems playing the table.

George

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:51 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
Ok, I thought you were creating a table.

There is an option in BAM that adds a light source from above the table. I don't care for it much myself but you might give it a try. Open the "Lights" menu in BAM. You arrow down to "Light Lock Position" and change this from "<on" to "off>". This will undim the X, Y and Z options for "Light Source Position" which you use to move the light around. The option a bit further down the menu is "Specular" adjusts how bright the light is.

Personally I prefer to change the playfield texture. You can check the table's textures and see if the author added an alternate playfield texture. To look at the textures, open the "Preferences" menu in the table editor. Click on "Editor Preferences" and the place a check mark on the option "Load Image into Table Editor" and then close Future Pinball. Then open it again and then open "Table" and then click on "Texture Manager". This will allow you to click on items in the texture list and see the texture in the preview on the left. BE SURE that you uncheck the "Load Image into Table Editor" when you are finished, otherwise you may have problems playing the table.

George

Thanks so much for the info! I will try to use it and fix the issue :)

Board index » Future Pinball » FAQ & Help