Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs

Post subject: Friction?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:50 pm 

I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the tables' friction. I recently downloaded the Shadow table that had the ZEDPINBALL physics set in use. But when I play it I find the ball flies around way too quick. I am not talking about when the ball falls in the normal course of events from top to bottom, that is fine. But when you shoot the ball and it bounces off of one of the posts or even when it flies around the orbit, I find that the fall goes way too fast. I can only assume this has to do with a friction setting.

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Friction?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 am 

Well it has to do with more than just one setting. Many of the objects on the table have a strength setting that can be adjusted plus there are many settings in the *.xml file that is part of the *.zip that you are instructed to not unzip. And yet another setting is the table slope that is on the right pane of the FP editor. All of this affects the "friction" or what most of us call physics. So it is not a simple fix to make the table play with the physics that you want. I actually play the same table and I agree the Zed version plays way too hot. However, Skinooe says on the Info tab of the pinsimdb page that the table "is also playable with FP 1.0". I actually play it as he says without the *.zip file which makes it FP 1.0. If you are still not satisfied with the ball physics, you might try some of the xml data that is on the following posting:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=6173

I have found that any of these can be used on a 1.0 table. Or at least I haven't found a 1.0 table that doesn't work yet.

George

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:42 pm 

thanks George. It did play smoother on the vanilla FP. I think in the future I will try tables that I find to be a bit to fast on vanilla to see if that helps.

thanks again.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:09 am 

malachi666 wrote:
thanks George. It did play smoother on the vanilla FP. I think in the future I will try tables that I find to be a bit to fast on vanilla to see if that helps.

thanks again.

You can give it a try but it doesn't always work. You know you are in trouble when the ball won't launch. On some tables removing the zip or xml file will make the launched ball travel partially up the launch shoot and then drop back down to the plunger.

George

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:43 am 

I also found, while playing vanilla, that if I turn the table slope up to 9 or 10 I get a really good roll as the ball rolls to the flippers. So far so good. I am really enjoying FP again.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:05 pm 

Yes, changing slope is a quick method to make your own physics. If you want to go a step further, you might read Step 26 of my guide that I posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6054

An XML file has a whole lot of parameters but if you read my guide, I only end up changing about 5 parameters. You might want to start with the XML file I created for Oblivion. It is what I start with when I do physics for a table:

http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/table-2 ... om_physics

George

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs