Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs

Post subject: Create Shortcuts to Play Tables / Right Click Context Menu
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:20 am 

If you have a desktop PC install of Future Pinball (FP), you might like to have a simpler alternative to a front-end launcher program like PinballX or HyperPin. Miownkhan showed me a way that I can create shortcuts to individual FP tables and play them. You may be aware that Future Pinball has a memory leak and you will have problems unless you restart Future Pinball after running every table. Miownkhan's method of launching tables bypasses the FP editor without opening it so you can play one table after another without having problems from the memory leak. There is also a way to add a right click context menu to your file manager (or Windows Explorer) that allows you to edit a table from your file manager. Even if you have a front-end launcher program, you still may find the right click is handy. One requirement is that you have BAM installed.

There is a simple registry edit that allow you to do these things. I tend to be a little apprehensive about changing the registry but this registry edit is simple to implement and does no harm. You need to select one of the codes below based on where you have FP installed.

You can copy one of the codes below (or edit one of the codes) and paste it into a file using Notepad and save it as a text file (file with the *.txt extension). Then rename the text file with the extension *.reg. Then you double click on the file with the *.reg extension so it will run. If all is well, you will get a warning and then afterwards you are done.

I can tell you from experience that you do not want to create a file association on Windows so that when you double click on an *.fpt file, it opens the Future Pinball editor. The association won't work the way you want. When you double click on an *.fpt file, the Future Pinball editor will open without opening the table. The only option is to run the registry update. I think this file association may have affected the registry update when I ran it the first time. When I ran the registry update, it did not work immediately. Miownkhan has since revised the code and I have posted an update here that I have installed on another PC. It worked perfectly. However if you have problems with it working like I did the first time, I found it wasn't difficult for me to get my version working. I fixed it by right clicking on a table with the .fpt extension. Then you click on "open with" and then "choose default program". On Windows 8.1, you click on "more options" (other versions of Windows may say "Look for another app on this PC" or similar). (You might try exiting at this point and try double clicking on a table with the *.fpt extension at this point. I seem to remember it started working for me at this point. If not, continue on). Then, select your BAM FPLoader.exe where ever it is installed. This will allow a launch by double clicking the "(table name).fpt". The registry entry should start working at this point.

When finished, you should be able to double click on a "(table name).fpt" file with your file manager and it should directly launch the table loading screen with BAM enabled and bypass the FP editor. You can also create a shortcut to a "(table name).fpt" file and play a table bypassing the editor. When finished playing the table, just press Escape as you normally would and FP closes. When you right click on a "(table name).fpt" file with your file manager, it will have the following options:

Edit BAM – Opens FP table with BAM using the FPloader
Open OrigFP – Opens table with original FP without BAM
Play Table – Plays table with original FP bypassing the FP editor without BAM

This is a screenshot of the right click options:

You can create shortcuts for many tables at one time. Just open your file manager and sort your tables folder by extension. Then highlight multiple "(table name).fpt" files and then right click on the selection and select "Create Shortcut". After you create the shortcuts, you can right click on a shortcut and have the same right click options that appear in the screenshot above.

This is a screenshot of a folder on my desktop where I have saved shortcuts to my favorite tables. You can right click on any of the icons in this folder and display the same right click context menu options that are shown in the previous screenshot.

This is the code for FP that is installed here:
C:\Games\Future Pinball\
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.fpt]
@="Future Pinball Table"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Future Pinball Table\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Future Pinball Table\Shell\Edit Bam]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Future Pinball Table\Shell\Edit Bam\Command]
@="\"C:\\Games\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\" /open \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Future Pinball Table\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Future Pinball Table\Shell\Open\Command]
@="\"C:\\Games\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\" /open \"%1\" /play /exit"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Future Pinball Table\Shell\Open OrgFP]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Future Pinball Table\Shell\Open OrgFP\Command]
@="\"C:\\Games\\Future Pinball\\Future Pinball.exe\" /open \"%1\""

This is the code for FP that is installed here:
C:\Future Pinball\
Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.fpt]
@="Future Pinball Table"

@="\"C:\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\" /open \"%1\""

@="\"C:\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\" /open \"%1\" /play /exit"

@="\"C:\\Future Pinball\\Future Pinball.exe\" /open \"%1\""

NOTE: The code above will only work if you have Future Pinball installed in either of the following two locations:

C:\Future Pinball\
C:\Games\Future Pinball\

You will need to edit the code if you have Future Pinball installed in a different location. You will need to edit the 3 places in the code that has what looks like a path. You just add double back slashes where you would normally use a single back slash.

For example, if you have Future Pinball installed here:

F:\My Stuff\Future Pinball\

Then you will need to edit the first 2 occurrences of the path locations in the code to look like this:

F:\\My Stuff\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\

Then edit the third occurrence of the path location in the code to look like this:

F:\\My Stuff\\Future Pinball\\Future Pinball.exe\

Be careful not to change anything other than the path location in the code and leave everything else unchanged.

I almost never launch FP from my desktop anymore. I usually use the right click "Edit BAM" context menu option to edit tables. When I work on tables, I normally use my file manager to move and create xml files so it is convenient to use the "Edit BAM" to edit the table while I am there.

If you have success or failure with this, please post a reply.

George

Last edited by GeorgeH on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Right Click Context Menu / Creating Shortcuts to Play Ta
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm 

very nice !

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:54 pm 

Thanks George, I am having a problem though. I set up the registry as directed, and now I can see "Play Table", "Edit with BAM", etc in the right click context menu, but when I double click the table icon or its shortcut I see the "How do you want to open this file?" There is the option to Keep Using "D:\Future Pinball\BAM\fploader.exe" /open "1%" /play /exit.

When I select this nothing happens, there appears to be a 'refresh' of the screen sort of thing but nothing else. Do you know what is happening here? The right-click context command works however.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:29 am 

malachi666

Where do you have Future Pinball installed?

It looks as if you said D:\Future Pinball\, if so make sure your Registry Shortcuts reflect this.

Quote:
I double click the table icon or its shortcut I see the "How do you want to open this file?"

Try selecting "D:\Future Pinball\BAM\FPLoader.exe"

This should default back to opening Future Pinball editor with Bam when double clicking the table icon.

If it works then try the above

Code:

@="\"D:\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\" /open \"%1\""

@="\"D:\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\" /open \"%1\" /play /exit"

@="\"D:\\Future Pinball\\Future Pinball.exe\" /open \"%1\""

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:41 pm 

OK, I have tried defaulting back to FPLoader.exe and now just the editor opens, but not the table file.

I had originally set the script to go to D:\\Future Pinball\\BAM\\FPLoader.exe\ as originally instructed.

Not sure how to get this to work...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:52 pm 

What version of Windows are you using?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:29 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:08 am 

All I can say is to get rid of the .fpt extension association by creating a blank text file by opening Notepad and saving a blank file as something.txt. Then rename it as something.exe. Then right click on any FP table (*.fpt) and select the "Opens With" option and then be sure the option is checked to "Use this app for all fpt files". It will show the current program and there will be "More Options" link, click it. A list will come up, click the "Look for another app on PC" link at bottom. Browse to your something.exe file and associate the extension with it. Hit Apply and OK. Now just go delete the something.exe you created and now the .fpt extension has no associated application.

See if it works then. If not, give my solution above another go. Right click on a table with the .fpt extension. Then you click on "open with" and then "more options". Try exiting at this point and try double clicking on a table with the *.fpt extension. See if it starts working. If not, select your BAM FPLoader.exe where ever it is installed. Hopefully the registry entry should start working at this point.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:25 am 

OK, I managed to get this sorted out. I did a clean install and while I was doing that, I discovered that for some reason my original install folder was D:\Future Pinball\Future Pinball... There was an extra sub layer in there.

Thanks again for this tool and for the subsequent help in this case. I was wondering would something like this work with Visual Pinball as well? Or do you have a different front end for that software.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:48 am 

malachi666 wrote:
OK, I managed to get this sorted out. I did a clean install and while I was doing that, I discovered that for some reason my original install folder was D:\Future Pinball\Future Pinball... There was an extra sub layer in there.

Thanks again for this tool and for the subsequent help in this case. I was wondering would something like this work with Visual Pinball as well? Or do you have a different front end for that software.

Entering the wrong path will break it. I'm glad you got it working! It is pretty nice to bypass the editor when you want to play a table.

I haven't used VP in a long time so I can't answer your questions about it.

George

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs