Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs

Post subject: Using a Real DMD with FP - How To
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 am 

Still being updated, check back later for more tables.

WARNING: The drivers for pinDMDv2 and WinIpac are both libusb and on my machine they conflict. Which ever set of drivers installed last will work, the other will get damaged.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thanks to Macro and Russ and everyone else we now have the ability to use a real DMD with Future Pinball.

Making a real DMD work is very easy but you will need the following:

1. A cab with a real DMD ;)
2. DMD ready FP tables. - See lists below.
3. Russ' PinDMD module - http://www.pindmd.com/default.php Read his install document.
4. Macro's DMD software v.1.02 - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2901 or here - http://www.pindmd.com/downloads-v2/futurepinball/
Put the files in the root of your Future Pinball folder, same place as where your .exe is.

Here is some info from Macro's software that you should know, I'll try and explain it down below. There is a lot more info in Macro's software "Whats-Up.txt" file in the download. If you are a table builder or scripter please download the software and read the text file.

Quote:
The program will only replicate a 128 x 32 DMD (either a HUD device or a translite one) out to the PinDMD device. It sends the first DMD of the correct size that is drawn by Future Pinball. If you have multiple DMD’s on the table, but only update one of them, it is quite possible that it will pick up the wrong one! – In this case you will need to remove the erroneous DMD displays from the table, or change which one is updated by the program.

REQUIREMENTS

1. A table must have a 32x128 DMD.
2. If there is a HUD DMD that is also 32x128 it can be resized to 16x128 so the software doesn't get confused on which one to pick.

Modding The Table:

HUD DMD = The extra one that shows in desktop mode, usually on the top left corner of the translite.

Us cab users need to mod every table that we install. We need to move the HUD DMD off the translite and sometimes we need to rename the HUD DMD name to the Main DMD. This is only the case when both DMD's are not scripted. After all that we need to scale the table and translite to fit our setup. So this is what we need to do now.

To move a DMD do the following - Open the editor, load the table, click on the translite box to the left, right click on the DMD and unlock it if it's locked (check mark next to lock) and drag it to where ever you want it. You don't need to re-lock it.

1. Move the HUD DMD off the translite.
2. Ensure that both DMD's are scripted, if not rename as you normally would.
3. Change the size of the HUD DMD to 16x128 so the software doesn't get confused. If you changed the name of the DMD and left it at 32x128 chances are your real DMD will pick it up and show nothing. Resizing will ensure there is no confusion.
4. If there is a video overlay or movie by the DMD you may need to move that to a location where it will be visible after you do your scaling in #5. ie. Tron Legacy, Transformers...
5. Scale (resize) the translite to not show the DMD and speaker portion. This way your backglass will look as it is supposed to.

TABLE LISTS

Tables that work without an issue: (Remember to change the HUD DMD size to 16x128 if it's putting out the same info.)

Indiana Jones
Iron Man
Jurassic Park
Lethal Weapon 3
Medieval Madness
Simpsons Pinball Party
Attack From Mars - BEST ANIMATIONS EVER!!
Jaws
Family Guy
Goonies
Gremlins
Tutankahn
Masters Of The Universe
Party Zone
Adams Family
Twilight Zone
Creature From The Black Lagoon
CSI
Elvis
Lord Of The Rings
Die Hard
Fish Tales
Dr Who - Two HUDS need to be changed to 16x128 leaving the main DMD 32x128.
Retroflair
Ripley's Believe It Or Not
Robocop
STTNG
Sharkey's Shootout
Superman (Game play only, non game play images not compatible.)
Tales From The Crypt
Wipeout
Big Bang Bar
Phantom of the Opera
Jungle Lord
T2
Pirates of the Caribbean
Spider Man
Goldorak
Robocop Ultra
Nightmare On Elm Street
Scared Stiff
Real It In
Cool Position
Twister
Tron

Let me know if you have more to add.

Tables that require some modding:- These tables don't have full size DMD's but look fine when you make it full size.

Transformers - DMD needs to be changed to 32x128 and Movie Overlay needs to be moved.
Batman TDK - DMD needs to be changed to 32x128 and Movie Overlay needs to be moved.
Tron Legacy - DMD needs to be changed to 32x128 and Movie Overlay needs to be moved.
Monster Bash - DMD needs to be changed to 32x128 and the three game play HUDS need to be moved.
Tee'd Off - DMD is all color images, does not work.
WildWest - DMD is too large, needs to be rebuilt for 32x128.
Aliens Legacy - DMD needs to be changed to 32x128 and moved off the translite. Movie Overlay also needs to be moved.
Checkpoint - Change HUD DMD to 32x128 and move both HUD and translite DMD's off screen.

Tables with DMD images missing: (DMD works but many of the images aren't displayed)

Macro's v1.02 software fixed many of the tables previously missing DMD images.

Superman - Non gameplay images not compatible. - Not working with v1.02
Spy vs Spy - Not yet tested with v1.02

Macro is in the process of upgrading the software to be able to deal with this image problem. UPDATED to v1.02 as of 2013-02-15. Here is what is said in his text file about it:

Quote:
If the table uses an imagelist for display backgrounds or effects, then these must be left uncompressed and there needs to be less than 1200 textures in total. I’ve not found a table that exceeds this yet, but there are sure to be some out there. In this case, the table should still run, but you will find some effects missing from the DMD screen. (It will also log an error in the log file so you know what has happened)

Imagelist graphics are also remapped to fit the number of colours, but since these are actually stored in full colour by FP this is calculated using a brightness averaging algorithm, so again, these may appear different to how they appeared with FP (PinDMD2 will use 16 shades where appropriate)

If you are confused by anything let me know and I'll change the post to make it easier to understand. This is DMD stuff only, no LedWiz info here. Check back as I will be adding more tables as I get the time to test. If anyone knows of other tables that work without an issue or have issues let me know and I'll add them to the post.

EDIT: More tables added. 2013-01-25

TROUBLSHOOTING

- No "pinDMD.com" logo on PC boot? Your pinDMD firmware is not seeing your pinDMD. Make sure it's plugged in, make sure in your device listing you see pinDMD listed. If you do not see it as a device go through the driver installation procedure again and be sure you are using the correct files.

- Not seeing the "pinDMD/Macro/LED WIZ" logo on FP start? Make sure the correct files created by Macro are installed. Link is on top of this post.

- You see the above logo on start and but your DMD doesn't change and stays that way when the game loads? Chances are there isn't a 32x128 DMD with that table. There may be a 16x128 DMD present, if so change it's size to 32x128 via the menu on right when in the editor looking at the table after clicking on the DMD.

- You see the logo but it never changes and it used to work just in fine but you installed WinIpac. See the warning at the top of this post.

- You see the "pinDMD/Macro/LED WIZ" and it goes out when the table is started AND you know there is a 32x128 DMD present? Check the Translite in the editor for two DMD's. Macro's software might be getting confused and displaying the wrong DMD. If this is the case resize the DMD that isn't doing anything to 16x128 so Macro's software ignores it.

- DMD is flickering/stuttering/compounding images? Try unchecking "Set Threading To Single Processor" box and see what happens. For my PC this makes a huge difference as Macro's software is designed to work in a thread of it's own.

- You have tried everything above and it's still not working? Your pinDMD might need a firmware upgrade. This isn't something you want to do often, try all other fixes first. You can go to http://www.pindmd.com and get the instructions and firmware.

PC - 2x Xeon CPU's 3.2ghz, 4g ram, GTX 650 Ti OC 1g, 80g 7200rpm SATA drive, Soundblaster Pro.

Last edited by jasonsmith01 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 34 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Using a Real DMD with FP - How To
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 am 

Keep info coming...this is appreciated by at least one user :D

thx!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:19 pm 

Thanks Steve, just finished adding the rest of my DMD tables. Many tables never had a DMD, therefor we will need DMD's added if we want them to work. The above info is for DMD ready tables only.

PC - 2x Xeon CPU's 3.2ghz, 4g ram, GTX 650 Ti OC 1g, 80g 7200rpm SATA drive, Soundblaster Pro.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm 

wow ... jasonsmith01 ... Even if I'm not unfortunately a user of the "CAB versions", I congratulate you on this magnificent work for these "How to" ... if I was a user of CAB I shall really appreciate it a lot.

Momoch

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 pm 

Thank you very much sir, much appreciated.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:47 pm 

Stickyed. ;)
jasonsmith01: Keep an eye on you message box.

GLXB

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:10 pm 

this is great news for the real size cab builders.
sorry for the off topic, but since i read this :
"5. Scale (resize) the translite to not show the DMD and speaker portion. This way your backglass will look as it is supposed to. "

i have to ask :
in my particular case i made a minicab with 19" wide playfield and 15" 4/3 backglass. but below the backglass i have a band with my real speakers. so, when i play it is strange to have both my true speakers and the "fake" ones from the backglass image.
i wonder if it is possible to drag the dmd a little up so i can still read the scores and mask the "fake speakers" area ? and if possible, how can i do that ?

(sorry, bad phone camera)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:23 pm 

Yes you can easily do that, just go into the editor, click on the translite box, right click on the DMD and unlock it if it's locked and drag it up to where you want it. 16:10 is about the normal ratio for a backglass.

Feel free to make another thread in the General section if you have more questions. It's so nice not seeing that speaker portion of the backglass any more.

EDIT: I've added these instructions to the tutorial above.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:48 pm 

ok thank you , i'll try when i get home and post some before/after pics if (when) successful ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm 

Troubleshooting section added. If anyone has anything special to add please advise.

Board index » Resources » Tutorials, how-to's, bug report and docs