Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post subject: Amiga Stones 'n Bones remake
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:53 am 

Hello all, new to the forums, but I've been reading for some time.

I've been sitting on this for a couple of years now, and since I have to make a post or else my account will be deleted, I'd like to gauge the reaction to getting something done and completing it.

First of all, this is in no way to disparage Light's efforts to recreate the Pinball Fantasies tables. After all it was these which made me realize it could be done, and inspired me to do so. However, I will say that the Stones 'n Bones table could have used some more accuracy as to the actual layout. Since I expect this was many people's favorite table of the lot (mine as well), I decided to attempt to recreate the table as close to 100% as possible in Future Pinball. This was a couple years ago and things like work and such just pushed it into the background.

Now, I understand that there may be resistance to the idea of remaking an old game in a new way. The philosophy is that the old games shouldn't be remade in something like Future Pinball; only recreations of real, actual tables. I wonder, is this still a widely held stance in the pinball world? I would certainly understand if it was; those games should be allowed to stand on their own merit. However, I also feel that there is merit in paying homage, and I couldn't think of a better way than making it look great in something like FP.

So, I have a few screenshots of what I've done. Take a look and see what you think. Only within the last few weeks did I find out that Pinball Arcade was finally available on PC. It looks and plays great, but I found it lacking in small details compared to what FP does and can do toward realism. For instance, the rollover wire triggers in PA don't animate at all, where FP does. It's little things like these that add the final touches to the overall experience.

Anyway, if there is a good reception to this remake, I will make a point to finally put more time into completing it, and discuss its progress here. Thanks for reading,

-Xigma

Attachment:
2013-12-26_00007.jpg

-

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Amiga Stones 'n Bones remake
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:31 am 

It is always nice to see an older table redone in FP, good luck with your project.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:40 am 

Hi,

Your idea to recreate Stone' n Bones in FP is excellent and I appreciate it enormously. I like very much the serie Pinball Fantasies and other productions of 21st Century.

Then, if you always want to recreate this table, you have at least a ardent supporter, and I think that there will be others in this forum!!

Momoch

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:33 pm 

Ahh, thanks very much momoch, at least 1, maybe 2 votes for progression, so I think it will be heading in that direction.

I have a couple more screens since I could only post 1 image:

Attachment:
2013-12-26_00008.jpg

-

Bear in mind that this is not nearly completed graphically as of yet. I have to re-render the playfield background to include all the elements like the second furnace door, all the monsters are not included, and I'm not sure I'm happy with all of them anyway. The multiplier skulls need to be added, plus a really good reaper.

Modelling is almost done, except for a problem with the Screams ramp working correctly. The ball can be shot into it, but it doesn't always make it to the wire ramp portion to return to the outlane. It's because the turn there is so tight, the ball might either just bounce backwards back down the ramp, or just get stuck at the entry point to the wire section. This is what held me up before. I have guides and such in place to try to help, but nothing has worked 100% effectively so far. I have an idea or 2 to try something else which would involve some new modelling, but it's just a matter of finding the time to try them out. But I will. 95-100% accuracy to the original design and layout is key, so changing the shape or location of the ramp or anything else is undesirable.

You may notice I took some liberty with the Well with a toy. I may or may not keep this, otherwise it will be a decal on top like in the original. I think once the project gets far enough along, I will plan on making both the ECS and AGA versions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:34 pm 

And 1 more:

Attachment:
2013-12-26_00011.jpg

-

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:26 pm 

Looks very good, beautiful work :D

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:56 pm 

Yeah! I always loved that table and are still playing the existing recreation. But seeing a modern relaunch is fun!!! :-))))

Good luck. The artworks in the screenshots look great!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:52 pm 

looks good to me. good luck with the project :-)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:03 pm 

niiiiiiiice !
was a big fan of all pinball dreams/fantasies tables on my amiga 500 / 1200 when i was .... young lol
very good work so far.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:36 am 

Thank you all, the enthusiasm is very encouraging! One step at a time, I will make improvements after work and weekends. Programming is also to be done. I have some simple things already working, like being able to open the Tower, but then there are the intricacies of scoring specifics. It's not an overly complex table as far as scoring events, but each possibility has to be accounted for. For now, it's really just to get the table looking and working right. I'd say it's maybe at 75% right now as far as that goes.

Anyways, thanks for the interest in the project. It will give me the motivation to finish it for a reason. It's an homage to the Amiga years many people enjoyed so much, or to these great games on whichever system they were played. If or when the project reaches completion, and another table is chosen, I think it would probably have to be Party Land, my close 2nd favorite table of the bunch.

If you're interested in the project, I would suggest turning on notifications for new posts in this thread. I can't say how regularly I will be updating, so this way you'll know of any new progress.

1 more screen for now, to show accuracy of the layout from a screen grab of the original game. It looks like the wire ramps don't match up, but this is only because of the perspective of the camera and because they are above the table surface. But I can assure you, everything has been placed 99% correctly to the table layout. Stay tuned, I may have to break out the emulator to play a few games of the original to get scoring specifics down.

-

Attachment:
2013-12-26_00012.jpg

-

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP