Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post subject: Re: working on something
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:50 pm 

Farsight had the Ghostbusters VPX table removed because it used the Farsight .dll to run, not because of any assets or anything like that. A programmer reverse engineered the dll from The Pinball Arcade and cracked it to make it run on VPX. Remember, since VPX is ROM based, that's always been the grey area for not only Pinball Tables but Arcade games and console emulation.

Given the fact that Future Pinball is 100% completely ROM free, there doesn't seem like there should be any issue regarding releasing a table that isn't using any "proprietary" coding. If that were the case then other games would be subject to similar take down Such as SpiderMan, Tron Legacy or Addams Family.

Also take note that JPSalas has released his own version of Ghostbusters with different but similar graphics and toys but no ROM needed. I have the VPX Ghostbusters table and it still does require a modified ROM.

I don't want to step on anyones toes on the board but I would definitely love to see what Smoke can do in FP. I think the fear is misguided about this table, due in part about how the table came to be.

Hopefully you can release this project Smoke.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:39 am 

An FP version of RFM was stopped dead in its tracks because a C&D was issued during development a few years back. It can happen again. It is what it is.

Just sayin' that FP and no ROM is not necessarily a cover. The art and DMD assets are also copyright materials. If license holders don't want to see repros then they can always come down on the community anytime.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 am 

Carny_Priest wrote:
An FP version of RFM was stopped dead in its tracks because a C&D was issued during development a few years back. It can happen again. It is what it is.

Just sayin' that FP and no ROM is not necessarily a cover. The art and DMD assets are also copyright materials. If license holders don't want to see repros then they can always come down on the community anytime.

I totaly agree. And a table can't be released if the author(s) just don't want. Moogster66 and I recreated Whoa Nellie, a pure EM. But the authors don't want we released the table.

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:25 pm 

Popotte wrote:
Carny_Priest wrote:

I totaly agree. And a table can't be released if the author(s) just don't want. Moogster66 and I recreated Whoa Nellie, a pure EM. But the authors don't want we released the table.

That's surprising to hear since there is a VPX version with both custom and original audio.

I'm assuming you're referring to Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:29 pm 

Carny_Priest wrote:

Totally agree, my point was that a misguided idea about why another version was taken down shouldn't stop a creator from fulfilling a project.

As I said JPsalas made a custom GB table that still incorporates a lot of elements from the original like the buildings and Stay Puft, so it's a fair assumption to state that Smoke can do the same unless he's bent on using OG machine graphics

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP