Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amiga Stones 'n Bones remake
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:20 am 

Hi

sometimes it could help to use another color than before. Means if you use "blue" before, then select f.e. "red" after. If done, then save and close FP. If it works then you can try the same way back to your first selected color. In some cases it works to me...

Greetings
Jerry

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm 

Sorry for the off-topic, but I created a (crappy) video causing the font bug in a table, then fixing it. Hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/ZhwTjkvcCpo

It seems to be crucial that, when fixing the table, you run FP (it means: dont try this on a already running instance of FP, especially if you have loaded any tables), load and select the right font color, then exit FP saving the table. If you make any other changes to the table the fix doesnt seem to work.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:48 am 

hazysmile, I will add my experience with the problem if it will help.

Seems to me the key is first loading a file which has not yet encountered the black text problem. In other words, if you load a table, go into Table Info, and the text is already set to black, it may be too late for that file. However, others say it can be corrected, so I'm not sure what to believe. But what I do know is the sequence I've used to bypass the problem:

1.) Start FP, only once instance of the program running
2.) Load up a file which does not contain the black text bug
3.) Go straight into Table Info and change what needs to be changed
4.) Save a new file, no other changes to the table (not sure if absolutely critical, but safe)
5.) Close FP
6.) Run FP again and load up the newly changed file

In this way, I could make any changes in Table Info again and again, as long as the first file loaded does not contain the bug.

Now, about trying to recover from a file which does have the bug...this is what worries me, and why I found my encounter with it so troublesome. I couldn't get it to go away, no matter what I tried. However, I will watch tio's video and see if there's something in there I might have been missing. Other than that, the method I found of starting with a "clean" file was the only thing that worked for me. Good luck, I hope it didn't set the work on the table back too much.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:42 pm 

thank you for all the advice. i hope it works.

now let's get this thing back on topic ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:48 pm 

Ok, good luck with the table or files.

Loafer, I had missed your post in the discussion of the text bug problem. I'm sorry to hear that the way I'm doing it would exclude some players from using the table to their fullest advantage. Right now I have it centered on the back wall. I thought I had a solution though, which would be if I changed all the coordinates for displaying things to start at 0,0/upper left corner. But now I've just realized that you say their displays are only 132 wide, and I did confirm that SNB (Stones 'n Bones) and Pinball Fantasies in general were 160x16. Unfortunately, it looks like that will be the stopper, as the goal is to recreate the table as closely as possible.

I have learned a lot about using the DMD in general, though. Turns out I will need to use Image Lists for some of the special DMD displays which the fonts just can't handle, or can't do. A couple that come to mind are the character-by-character wipes seen on some bonus scoring, like a skill shot, or the zoom-in effect on a 5 million bonus. There are probably 2 or 3 or 4 more, I'll have to look for them, but each one needs to be drawn. Trying to light individual pixels on the DMD by a bitmap is tedious at best, so that may take some time. It's a lot of trial and error, but I did find a method which has worked best so far. Since I'm using a 192x64 DMD, I thought "simple, use a 192x64 bitmap, and light each pixel individually." But it didn't work out that way. It seemed there was not enough resolution in the bitmap, as pixels on the DMD would be on or off when according to the bitmap they should be the other way around. So, make the bitmaps x2, or 384x128. If a pixel on the DMD is not lighting up, just add 1 white pixel in the bitmap (which is actually 1/4 of a DMD pixel), and voila, the DMD pixel comes on. If the alignment of text is not right, shift the letter or text over by 1 pixel in the bitmap, and the text on the DMD shifts 1 pixel. So, the bitmap may not end up looking exactly like you'd expect for a certain text, but the DMD shows it properly.

Took a lot of time working out the problems with how to do the effects on the DMD, and more time once I found that it had to be Image Lists, and more time figuring out how to get the image lists to work. But that's all sorted, now just a matter of getting them done. It's kinda fun, but I guess that's why I jump to all different areas when I work on it. Sometimes graphics, sometimes 3D, sometimes DMD, sometimes programming. Keeps it interesting and not so much drudgery in one area.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 am 

It's no problem at all. The table will be enjoyed just as well, it just won't use the real dmd. Its important that authors' vision is respected and in this case as you have mentioned, the original has a larger dmd so that is the way this recreation needs to go.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:27 pm 

Update: I have since found out while working on the "5 million tower" animation that DMD animations by bitmap turned out to be a bit easier than expected. Using the same method with a 384x128 bitmap, if the pixels don't light correctly on the DMD, just shift the entire bitmap by 1 bitmap pixel. At least, it worked for this animation in particular. I had drawn all 27 frames, but I saw when I displayed a first test that the DMD pixels weren't correct. Shift the bitmap(s) over by 1, and surprisingly, each and every pixel in the bitmap lit the DMD pixel accordingly, no adjustments. If I had to try and go through each frame 1 by 1 and try to get pixels lit correctly, test, make reference to each unlit one, it may have ended this project. Or at least, tremendously degraded my enthusiasm for it to the point where it would sit for who-knows-how-long. But, good news, the bitmap lit the DMD perfectly.

Also through this trial and error, I found that a DMD can only have 1 animation ImageList, so multiple animations have to all be packed into 1 big Image List. No big deal, it just makes you have to reference start and end frames more.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:38 am 

Another question: have you ever seen this tools by Sebek74?

http://futurepinball.mm.com.pl/Gfx2DmdF/default.asp

http://futurepinball.mm.com.pl/DosBoxDM ... efault.asp

Maybe it can help you working on DMD...if not then forget it. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:34 pm 

Thanks Jerry, it could be useful for some parts. I think I heard about this program once before, just never knew where to get it. I'll give it a try and see what it can do, but for now, I've gotten stuck in trying to improve the Screams ramp. Fingers crossed.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:39 pm 

momoch wrote:

Then, if you always want to recreate this table, you have at least a ardent supporter, and I think that there will be others in this forum!!

Momoch

yes yes yes 1,10, 100.000 fan :D

EXCELLENT !!! :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables WIP