Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: tales of the arabian nights
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:08 am 

ah ok I'll check that out thanks for the help!

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 am 

GeorgeH wrote:
You probably don't have a lot of spare time, so you might want to check out the list of my favorite tables. The ones with 5 stars are the best although I haven't added this one yet:

http://gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6176

George

this is great i'll check it out.
BtY I really love the physic settings on Totan and World Cup soccer I'm probably gonna use it as a default for Bam

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:59 pm 

so i checked and new render being off was the issue. unfortunately it has to much overhead for VR and I have to use classic render.
Oh well at least I know its not something I did wrong :)

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:48 pm 

bloodydrake wrote:
so i checked and new render being off was the issue. unfortunately it has to much overhead for VR and I have to use classic render.
Oh well at least I know its not something I did wrong :)

If you are using Smoke's XML file, try opening it with Notepad and changing "physics fps" from 400 to 256. This might make it perform better.

George

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:00 pm 

ok thanks GeorgeH I'll give that a try

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 pm 

This table is a work of art, and I mean it. It's aesthetics, sound/fx, dmd, texture quality, and presentation are top notch. It's really saddening to me that the lack of proper physics make it another "look but don't play" thing, the table simply doesn't play well for me. There's tables like AC/DC Ultimate which simply work because their gameplay/physics are "right", and then there are beauties like this which are nice to look at, but when it comes to the gameplay department, you realize pretty quick it isn't working out.
World Cup '94 is pretty much the same :(

Last edited by gibsmedat on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:30 pm 

gibsmedat wrote:
This table is a work of art, and I mean it. It's aesthetics, sound/fx, dmd, texture quality, and presentation are top notch. It's really saddening to me that the lack of proper physics make it another "look but don't play" thing, the table simply doesn't play well for me. There's tables like AC/DC Ultimate which simply work because their gameplay/physics are "right", and then there are beauties like this which are nice to look at, but when it comes to the gameplay department, you realize pretty quick it isn't working out.
World Cup '94 is pretty much the same.

Sad Panda

I can say from experience that it is difficult and nearly impossible to create a version of physics that is different from what the author likes best. Creating physics involves making a lot of small adjustments and then making a subjective decision as to whether the change is better or worse. I have found it is almost impossible to change it so it produces what someone else wants. I'm sure Smoke designed the physics so it is what he thought was best. What is right for one person is wrong for another and a lot depends on personal taste.

I have been using the XML file on this table that I included with the WarLock table and increased the ball mass in the XML file to 73 or 74 or so. Starac is using the XML from WarLock also but changed the table slope to 8 and ball mass in the XML file to 75.5.

You will need to change "spindisk mass" to 499.0 or the lamp won't spin correctly.

I think I made some additional changes after I played the table a bit more. I don't remember if I changed any settings on the table or not (I think not but not sure). Increasing the table slope will always make the table play faster. I pasted what I now use below:

Code:
  <!-- Physics processing -->
  <!-- Note. Changing the FPS will effect how how all the other values interact with each other and should
  be a high value due to the fact the ball in a pinball is moving very fast and lower values will cause the ball
  to go into objects fractionally (thus we must sample at a higher rate)

threaded (true/false) defines if the physics runs in a separate thread for multicore CPU's (dev version only)
  -->
  <physics fps="512" threaded="1"></physics>

<!-- Settings for various objects -->
  <ball newtonDamping="0" mass="79" gravity="5400" damping="1.3"></ball>

<!-- moeMethod="0" Auto-calculate the moments of Inertia for the flipper using internal Newton functions -->
  <!-- moeMethod="1" Calculate the Flipper MOE based on a rectangle (changes aiming behaivour) -->
  <!-- Note: omega is rotational force -->
  <flipper rotationSpeedChart="{0.0,100.0}" newtonDamping="1" mass="20150" omega="43" moeMethod="0"
           leftXoff="0" leftYoff="1500" leftZoff="0"
           rightXoff="0" rightYoff="1500" rightZoff="0"></flipper>

<!-- impluse            The amount of power applied to the ball (normal setting)..
                          this is then scalled up or down to suit the strength setting
       impulseRandomness  Random Percentage (of impulse) added to impulse when the ball hits the object
       vectorRandomness   Random Angle change +/- value to ball direction
  -->
  <bumper impulse="90.0" impulseRandomness="0" vectorRandomness="6"></bumper>
  <autoplunger mass="20000.0" force="60000.0"></autoplunger>
  <diverter mass="10000.0" omega="33.0"></diverter>
  <gate mass="5.0" gravity="2500.0" damping="0.25"></gate>
  <kicker impulse="1000.0" vukImpulse="1400.0" impulseRandomness="2" vectorRandomness="1"></kicker>
  <plunger mass="20000.0" force="30000.0"></plunger>
  <slingshot impulse="700.0" impulseRandomness="15" vectorRandomness="3"></slingshot>
  <spindisk mass="499.0" angularDamp="0.33" linearDamp="0.25"></spindisk>

<spinner mass="60.0" gravity="100.0" angularDamp="0.25" angularAccel="5.25"
           spinDampLoose="0.55" spinBackLoose="1.70"
           spinDampNorm="0.75" spinBackNorm="1.80"
           spinDampTight="0.95" spinBackTight="1.90"></spinner>
  <emkicker mass="10000.0" omega="80.0"></emkicker>
  <varitarget mass="500.0" damping="0.9" tension="3.0" return="15.0"></varitarget>
  <magnet impulse="10.0" impulseRandomness="2"></magnet>

<!-- Nugde Settings -->
  <nudge impulse="120.0" impulseRandomness="25.0" warningLevel="250" leftAngle="60" upAngle="0" rightAngle="320"
         vectorRandomness="5" visualDistance="1" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="500.0"></nudge>

<!-- Materials Settings -->

<!-- Static coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -
       Static friction is the force that holds back a stationary object up to the point that it
       just starts moving. Thus, the static coefficient of friction concerns the force restricting
       the movement of an object that is stationary on a relatively smooth, hard surface.

Kinetic coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -
       Once you overcome static friction, kinetic friction is the force holding back regular motion.
       This, kinetic fiction coefficient of friction concerns the force restricting the movement of
       an object that is sliding on a relatively smooth, hard surface.

Both coefficients are based on material pairs (ie wood on wood, metal on wood) etc..

In FP all the settings are for Ball on Wood/Plastic/Rubber/Metal etc..

and from the Newton docs..
       staticFriction and kineticFriction must be positive values. kineticFriction must be lower or equal than
       staticFriction. It is recommended that staticFriction and kineticFriction be set to a value
       lower or equal to 1.0, however because some syntetic materials can have higher than one coeficient
       of friction Newton allows for the coeficient of friction to be as high as 2.0.

For more information refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction
  -->

<!-- Default Materal Settings to act as defaults incase we forget to set an object during development. 
       There shouldn't be any objects set to this material so these are just a fail safe values -->
  <defaultMat softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></defaultMat>

<!-- Material Settings for surfaces marked as playfields -->
  <playfieldMat softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.03" kineticFriction="0.02"></playfieldMat>

<!-- Primary Material Types -->
  <metalMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></metalMat>
  <woodMat softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.15" staticFriction="0.03" kineticFriction="0.02"></woodMat>
  <plasticMat softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.2" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.01"></plasticMat>
  <rubberHardMat softnessCoef="0.08" elasticCoef="0.42" staticFriction="0.04" kineticFriction="0.055"></rubberHardMat>
  <rubberIntMat softnessCoef="0.1" elasticCoef="0.52" staticFriction="0.05" kineticFriction="0.065"></rubberIntMat>
  <rubberSoftMat softnessCoef="0.12" elasticCoef="0.62" staticFriction="0.06" kineticFriction="0.075"></rubberSoftMat>

<!-- Object Specific Material Settings -->
  <gateMat softnessCoef="0.05" elasticCoef="0.65" staticFriction="0" kineticFriction="0"></gateMat>
  <kickerMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.05" staticFriction="0.8" kineticFriction="0.8"></kickerMat>
  <rampMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.01" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></rampMat>
  <plungerMat softnessCoef="0.04" elasticCoef="0.55" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></plungerMat>
  <spindiskMat softnessCoef="0.05" elasticCoef="0.5" staticFriction="1.5" kineticFriction="2"></spindiskMat>

</document>

Hope this helps,

George

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 pm 

Well, thanks. I'll give it a try.

Regarding physics... When I look at physics, I look at at it from a 'physical' standpoint: the apple doesn't fall awkward because of personal taste, if it does you fiddled with Newton's law. Just take a look at the apple (I mean ball) when it comes 'falling down', apples do not work that way :?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 am 

GeorgeH wrote:

I have been using the XML file on this table that I included with the WarLock table and increased the ball mass in the XML file to 73 or 74 or so. Starac is using the XML from WarLock also but changed the table slope to 8 and ball mass in the XML file to 75.5.

You will need to change "spindisk mass" to 499.0 or the lamp won't spin correctly.

I think I made some additional changes after I played the table a bit more. I don't remember if I changed any settings on the table or not (I think not but not sure). Increasing the table slope will always make the table play faster. I pasted what I now use below:

Code:
  <!-- Note. Changing the FPS will effect how how all the other values interact with each other and should
  be a high value due to the fact the ball in a pinball is moving very fast and lower values will cause the ball

threaded (true/false) defines if the physics runs in a separate thread for multicore CPU's (dev version only)
  -->

<!-- moeMethod="0" Auto-calculate the moments of Inertia for the flipper using internal Newton functions -->
  <!-- moeMethod="1" Calculate the Flipper MOE based on a rectangle (changes aiming behaivour) -->
  <flipper rotationSpeedChart="{0.0,100.0}" newtonDamping="1" mass="20150" omega="43" moeMethod="0"

<!-- impluse            The amount of power applied to the ball (normal setting)..
       impulseRandomness  Random Percentage (of impulse) added to impulse when the ball hits the object
  -->
  <kicker impulse="1000.0" vukImpulse="1400.0" impulseRandomness="2" vectorRandomness="1"></kicker>
  <slingshot impulse="700.0" impulseRandomness="15" vectorRandomness="3"></slingshot>

<varitarget mass="500.0" damping="0.9" tension="3.0" return="15.0"></varitarget>

<!-- Nugde Settings -->
  <nudge impulse="120.0" impulseRandomness="25.0" warningLevel="250" leftAngle="60" upAngle="0" rightAngle="320"
         vectorRandomness="5" visualDistance="1" waitPeriod="300" maxBallVelocity="500.0"></nudge>

<!-- Static coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -
       Static friction is the force that holds back a stationary object up to the point that it
       just starts moving. Thus, the static coefficient of friction concerns the force restricting
       the movement of an object that is stationary on a relatively smooth, hard surface.

Kinetic coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -
       Once you overcome static friction, kinetic friction is the force holding back regular motion.
       This, kinetic fiction coefficient of friction concerns the force restricting the movement of

Both coefficients are based on material pairs (ie wood on wood, metal on wood) etc..

staticFriction and kineticFriction must be positive values. kineticFriction must be lower or equal than
       staticFriction. It is recommended that staticFriction and kineticFriction be set to a value
       lower or equal to 1.0, however because some syntetic materials can have higher than one coeficient

-->

<!-- Default Materal Settings to act as defaults incase we forget to set an object during development. 
       There shouldn't be any objects set to this material so these are just a fail safe values -->
  <defaultMat softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></defaultMat>

<playfieldMat softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.03" kineticFriction="0.02"></playfieldMat>

<metalMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.1" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></metalMat>
  <woodMat softnessCoef="0.03" elasticCoef="0.15" staticFriction="0.03" kineticFriction="0.02"></woodMat>
  <plasticMat softnessCoef="0.02" elasticCoef="0.2" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.01"></plasticMat>
  <rubberHardMat softnessCoef="0.08" elasticCoef="0.42" staticFriction="0.04" kineticFriction="0.055"></rubberHardMat>
  <rubberIntMat softnessCoef="0.1" elasticCoef="0.52" staticFriction="0.05" kineticFriction="0.065"></rubberIntMat>
  <rubberSoftMat softnessCoef="0.12" elasticCoef="0.62" staticFriction="0.06" kineticFriction="0.075"></rubberSoftMat>

<gateMat softnessCoef="0.05" elasticCoef="0.65" staticFriction="0" kineticFriction="0"></gateMat>
  <kickerMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.05" staticFriction="0.8" kineticFriction="0.8"></kickerMat>
  <rampMat softnessCoef="0.01" elasticCoef="0.01" staticFriction="0.01" kineticFriction="0.01"></rampMat>
  <plungerMat softnessCoef="0.04" elasticCoef="0.55" staticFriction="0.02" kineticFriction="0.02"></plungerMat>
  <spindiskMat softnessCoef="0.05" elasticCoef="0.5" staticFriction="1.5" kineticFriction="2"></spindiskMat>

</document>

Hope this helps,

George

Hey George, I think you've changed something on the table too (slope or anything). When I use your xml with the unchanged table it plays like slo-mo pinball. I'm very interested which settings you have figured out 'cause I like your physic settings a lot normally...

Best regards

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:35 pm 

Skyrider wrote:
Hey George, I think you've changed something on the table too (slope or anything). When I use your xml with the unchanged table it plays like slo-mo pinball. I'm very interested which settings you have figured out 'cause I like your physic settings a lot normally...

I compared the original fpt file to what I am using. I hadn't changed any settings on the table but it did seem rather slow today when I tried it. I decided to increase the table slope to 7.5. Also I noticed I missed posting the top line of the XML file earlier. If you save the XML file like I posted it, BAM will probably ignore the XML file and use the default physics.

One of these days I plan on going through my posting of favorite tables and fix the physics on all of them so they match. In the mean time, I am still going through a list of about 70 tables that I am considering to add to my list of favorites. It is taking forever because I revise and post changes to tables that I think need it along the way.

George

Here is the content of the full XML file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<document>

<!-- Tales of the Arabian Nights 1.0-->

-->

-->

<!-- Nugde Settings -->

<!-- Static coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -

Kinetic coefficient
       - - - - - - - - - -

-->

</document>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Future Pinball » Tables Release