Register    Login    Forum    FAQ    PinSimDB.org

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Future Pinball 2.0 (idea/project)
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm 

Rav,

ravarcade wrote:
GeorgeH wrote:
We need to have the installation do things like making it impossible to install FP in the following folders:
C:\Program Files\
C:\Program Files (x86)\

It will not work.
If you run program from c:\Program Files\ it can't write anything inside this dir. In most cases programs decide to write own files in user Documents dir.
Problem is not only in BAM and .cfg files. When you load table, FP will extract some files to main FP dir. So, FP will not be able to work, when it is installed in that dir.

Actually the idea is to make it so an end user can NOT install FP in either of the 2 folders for the reasons you describe.

ravarcade wrote:
GeorgeH wrote:
...And change the default options that are checked on the "Editor Options" on the "Preferences" menu.

Send me screenshot and i will add that settings.

I don't think it needs a screen shot. All the options on the "Editor Options" screen need to be unchecked.

I don't recall what the default setting is for the "Model Quality" when you first install FP. As you know, it needs to be set to "High" when you use BAM. If it is possible, it would be best if this option were disabled so the end user cannot use it. If you decide to disable it, be aware that "Model Quality" changes when you click on the "Minimum" and "Medium (Default)" preset buttons.

ravarcade wrote:
GeorgeH wrote:
It needs to install the shortcut to the FPloader to the desktop correctly.

Easy to do.

Be sure to add check marks to these 2 options:
"Run this program as an administrator"
"Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

It seems like this could be a little bit difficult on different versions of Windows. We don't want the shortcut to the "Future Pinball.exe" file to be installed.

ravarcade wrote:
GeorgeH wrote:
I think it should include these updates to the registry as well because I think a lot of people like being able to double click on an FPT file and play a table:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5653

Can be done, but it is tricky. Path to FP can be different than default.

I suppose it can wait until later.

ravarcade wrote:
One warning. If you try to solve all problems with installer, you will make it incedible complicate to end user. For example: what FP.exe you want to use? That question will scary end user. Creation of multiple shortcuts on desktop to different FP.exe? Still confusing.

My adice. Make list to include short. Make it done. We can add more later.

My thoughts are to install just the Zed FP executable with the "Default.xml" file added using Physics 1.0. ...But we can hold off until later if you wish. My opinion is that the Zed version is the best one but the other guys may not agree.

If you are creating an exe installer, we need to think about how to perform updates to add new versions of BAM so that your CFG files don't get eliminated or changed. It is a real pain to have to reset all the options back to the way you had it set up before you performed an update.

George

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm 

@GeorgeH: Thanks for good tips.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:25 am 

ravarcade wrote:
@GeorgeH: Thanks for good tips.

You're welcome! I guess I am more of a big picture kind of guy. In fact, it can be difficult for me to delve into the nitty gritty details sometimes.

To my thinking, the most important aspects of what I wrote are addressing 1) model quality and 2) how you perform updates to BAM once you have this installed so you don't loose your CFG files.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:49 pm 

What is everyone's opinion on using the Zed FP executable with the "Default.xml" file added using Physics 1.0?

In my opinion, the Zed exe is the best because it allows more than 800 objects on a table. It has no watermark. The 64 bit version allocates more memory to the table. In fact, I have accidentally left the option checked for "Load Images into Table Editor" several times and played the table to see the changes I made. The table just about always plays without any problem.

There are some tables that use more than 800 objects so if we use the Zed exe, new users won't have a problem when they play these tables.

George

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm 

GeorgeH wrote:
What is everyone's opinion on using the Zed FP executable with the "Default.xml" file added using Physics 1.0?

In this case, it's just a hack of FP.

Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm 

Dear George, you can not claim a customized release........
in my opinion, the starting idea is to make Bam use all the FP users. So the beginning must be a simple and automatic thing. Who uses FP only to play must be able to install it with a single button. Then when the "creature" will work well you will see the problems for the geeks and programmers.

Greetings to all

Gianfranco

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:10 am 

way to go had problems lately with flipper lag and just play tables in fp directly without problems
it gets confusing. perhaps future pinball author could be approached

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 am 

mamemad wrote:
way to go had problems lately with flipper lag and just play tables in fp directly without problems

He has been approached many times before to no avail. We're on our own.

George

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:23 am 

GeorgeH wrote:
mamemad wrote:

He has been approached many times before to no avail. We're on our own.

George

We were on our own 10 years ago, it's just taken this long for us to understand that.

Zed 64bit. That's the one to use, because it's the only exe that is 64 bit, just for that reason alone. I'm tired of the constant crashes in the editor with the others, as they are all 32bit (VPX does the same, as it's 32 bit as well)

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

Latest Project: FPx Template Engine

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 am 

blue wrote:
......Zed 64bit. That's the one to use, because it's the only exe that is 64 bit, just for that reason alone. I'm tired of the constant crashes in the editor with the others, as they are all 32bit (VPX does the same, as it's 32 bit as well)..........

Also I have 64-bit Windows, but I've never had the problem crashing ..... strange ..... maybe because I stayed with the old Windows 7 Home premium. I've never liked Win10.
Greetings

Gianfranco

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Welcome to GoPinball » General Discussion